Re: [webalizer] Multiple site/stats

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5, 2005
      Greene, Jason A [ITS] wrote:

      > We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
      > using virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.
      >
      > I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...
      >
      > How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
      > each site independent of the others.

      the easiest way is to fix your apache server that that each site gets its own logs with its own details rather than one
      huge log covering all sites... this is done by putting the logging lines in each virtual site's container with the
      proper path for where you want that sites logs to be...

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 16 , Apr 5, 2005
        I had most of this... I changed the log type from common to combind and I
        get the same thing... One stat page

        Do I need to do anything to the webalizer conf files... I have one for each
        site in /etc/webalizer/

        Jason Greene
        Sprint
        913-794-7105

      • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005

          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 6, 2005
            Hum, so, I assume you already have a CustomLog line in
            each VirtualHost directory, and each CustomLog line
            points to a different logfile. This means that you
            have n different logfile, where n is the number of
            virtualhosts.

            This means you have n different webalizer.conf files.

            Probably all files have the same OutputDir line, and
            they overwrite silently each other as you execute
            them. When you go the output dir, you'll only find the
            stats for the last execucion of webalizer.

            OK, now you have to modify your webalizer.conf files,
            one by one. For your first site, called for example
            "seminars", you would edit the webalizer.conf for that
            site, which you could call "webalizer_seminars.conf"
            and change:

            - the LogFile line so it points to the log defined by
            CustomLog inside the VirtualHost defining site
            "seminars".
            LogFile /var/log/httpd/access_log_seminars

            - the OutputDir line, so it points to, for example,
            "/var/www/html/usage/seminars"
            OutputDir /var/www/html/usage/seminars

            - the HistoryName line, to point to "webalizer.hist",
            so it uses a file relative to the output directory
            HistoryName webalizer.hist

            - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db", so it
            uses a file relative to the output directory
            DNSCache dns_cache.db

            For your second site, which we will call, for example,
            "cars", we'll edit "webalizer_cars.conf" and:

            - point LogFile to the the CustomLog for VirtualHost
            "cars"

            - change OutputDir to "/var/www/html/usage/cars"

            - change HistoryFile to "webalizer.hist"

            - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db"

            The you repeat the same with all your other sites.
            Notice that the names and directories are all made up.
            Fill LogFile and OutputDir with your own names and
            directories.

            --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"

            http://personals.yahoo.com
          • sam harris
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

              you need to develop a shell script that will run though the sites' log files then dump the output in  different folders. with no conf file unless your conf file will carry common elements like displays and such

              then place a front page linking to those reports

              the script will

              set your log variables:

              log1 = /path/path/path/file1

              log2=/path/path/path/file2

              set your output file path vars:

              output1.....

              output2....

              then run webalizer:

              For i in log1 log2

              do

              if log1 = "/...//.///."

              do this webalizer...

              else

              do this webalizer...

              fi

              end

              hope this helps

              We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
              using
              virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

              I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

              How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
              each
              site independent of the others.

              Jason Greene
              Sprint
              913-794-7105

              Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            • Amir Jamak
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                Hello everyone,

                I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
                you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
                similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
                in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
                my servers). So the process becomes automatically
                refreshed on the daily basis...

                Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
                to not look the log files from the beginneing each
                time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
                have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
                daily...

                Thanks in advance

                Amir

                --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
                ---------------------------------

[...]

                Terms of Service.

                http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
              • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005
                  Thanks.
                  I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
                  REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

                  I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

                  for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
                  done

                  It seemed to work.

                  Jason Greene
                  Sprint
                  913-794-7105

                • sam harris
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7, 2005

                    myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

                    for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

                    ---------------------------------

                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                      I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

                      DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                      Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
                      Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
                      History file not found...
                      Previous run data not found...
                      Error: Unable to save current run data
                      Generating report for April 2005
                      Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                      Generating summary report
                      Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                      Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                      674 records in 0.02 seconds
                      --

                      Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                        > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                        [...]
                        > Error: Unable to save current run data
                        [...]
                        > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                        [...]
                        > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                        > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                        You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                        (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                      • Maurice Volaski
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                          > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                          >[...]
                          >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                          >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                          Thanks for your reply.

                          >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                          I am running as root.

                          >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                          About 58 GB free on that volume.
                          --

                          Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                        • Maurice Volaski
                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 12, 2005
                            > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                            >[...]
                            >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                            >[...]
                            >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                            >[...]
                            >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                            >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                            >
                            >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                            I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                            it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                            into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                            directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                            on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                            change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                            prevent the user from altering it.
                            --

                            Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 13, 2005
                              If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                              webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                              To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                              sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                              /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                              (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                              /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                              temporal directory) I've never used this command
                              myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                              encounter using it.

                              As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                              sudo" :)