Multiple site/stats

  • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
    Message 1 of 16 , Apr 5 6:52 AM

      We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP) using
      virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

      I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

      How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display each
      site independent of the others.

      Jason Greene
      Sprint
      913-794-7105
    • Greene, Jason A [ITS]

        Message 3 of 16 , Apr 5 9:44 AM
          Hello:

          You need to tell apache to write a different log for
          each virtual host. Read this message to see how to do
          this. When you're done, click in "Up thread" to see
          the messages I'm answering to.

          --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"
          <jason.a2.greene@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > We are running several sites on the same server
          > (Slackware/Apache/PHP) using
          > virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.
          >
          > I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it
          > out...
          >
          > How can I get webalizer to separate the states of
          > each site and display each
          > site independent of the others.
          >
          > Jason Greene
          > Sprint
          > 913-794-7105

          __________________________________
          Yahoo! Messenger
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 16 , Apr 5 11:07 AM
            Greene, Jason A [ITS] wrote:

            > We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
            > using virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.
            >
            > I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...
            >
            > How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
            > each site independent of the others.

            the easiest way is to fix your apache server that that each site gets its own logs with its own details rather than one
            huge log covering all sites... this is done by putting the logging lines in each virtual site's container with the
            proper path for where you want that sites logs to be...

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            Message 5 of 16 , Apr 5 12:27 PM
              I had most of this... I changed the log type from common to combind and I
              get the same thing... One stat page

              Do I need to do anything to the webalizer conf files... I have one for each
              site in /etc/webalizer/

              Jason Greene
              Sprint
              913-794-7105

            • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
              Message 6 of 16 , Apr 6 9:53 AM

                Message 7 of 16 , Apr 6 12:32 PM
                  Hum, so, I assume you already have a CustomLog line in
                  each VirtualHost directory, and each CustomLog line
                  points to a different logfile. This means that you
                  have n different logfile, where n is the number of
                  virtualhosts.

                  This means you have n different webalizer.conf files.

                  Probably all files have the same OutputDir line, and
                  they overwrite silently each other as you execute
                  them. When you go the output dir, you'll only find the
                  stats for the last execucion of webalizer.

                  OK, now you have to modify your webalizer.conf files,
                  one by one. For your first site, called for example
                  "seminars", you would edit the webalizer.conf for that
                  site, which you could call "webalizer_seminars.conf"
                  and change:

                  - the LogFile line so it points to the log defined by
                  CustomLog inside the VirtualHost defining site
                  "seminars".
                  LogFile /var/log/httpd/access_log_seminars

                  - the OutputDir line, so it points to, for example,
                  "/var/www/html/usage/seminars"
                  OutputDir /var/www/html/usage/seminars

                  - the HistoryName line, to point to "webalizer.hist",
                  so it uses a file relative to the output directory
                  HistoryName webalizer.hist

                  - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db", so it
                  uses a file relative to the output directory
                  DNSCache dns_cache.db

                  For your second site, which we will call, for example,
                  "cars", we'll edit "webalizer_cars.conf" and:

                  - point LogFile to the the CustomLog for VirtualHost
                  "cars"

                  - change OutputDir to "/var/www/html/usage/cars"

                  - change HistoryFile to "webalizer.hist"

                  - the DNSCache line, to point to "dns_cache.db"

                  The you repeat the same with all your other sites.
                  Notice that the names and directories are all made up.
                  Fill LogFile and OutputDir with your own names and
                  directories.

                  --- "Greene, Jason A [ITS]"

                  http://personals.yahoo.com
                • sam harris
                  Message 8 of 16 , Apr 7 6:27 AM

                    you need to develop a shell script that will run though the sites' log files then dump the output in  different folders. with no conf file unless your conf file will carry common elements like displays and such

                    then place a front page linking to those reports

                    the script will

                    set your log variables:

                    log1 = /path/path/path/file1

                    log2=/path/path/path/file2

                    set your output file path vars:

                    output1.....

                    output2....

                    then run webalizer:

                    For i in log1 log2

                    do

                    if log1 = "/...//.///."

                    do this webalizer...

                    else

                    do this webalizer...

                    fi

                    end

                    hope this helps

                    We are running several sites on the same server (Slackware/Apache/PHP)
                    using
                    virtual hosts in Apache's httpd.conf.

                    I've read the howtos and I can't seem to figure it out...

                    How can I get webalizer to separate the states of each site and display
                    each
                    site independent of the others.

                    Jason Greene
                    Sprint
                    913-794-7105

                    Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
                    http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

                  • Amir Jamak
                    Message 9 of 16 , Apr 7 6:40 AM
                      Hello everyone,

                      I am writting to the group for the first time. Thank
                      you for your answer Sam. Actually I am having the
                      similar problem. Is there any way to put this script
                      in cron deamon daily folder? (I am running SuSE 9.x on
                      my servers). So the process becomes automatically
                      refreshed on the daily basis...

                      Another question: Is there any way to tell webalizer
                      to not look the log files from the beginneing each
                      time it's being execited? It should be usefull if you
                      have large log files. Imagine analyzing large log file
                      daily...

                      Thanks in advance

                      Amir

                      --- sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:
                      ---------------------------------

[...]

                      Terms of Service.

                      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
                    • Greene, Jason A [ITS]
                      Message 10 of 16 , Apr 7 6:41 AM
                        Thanks.
                        I used Enric's email and noticed I had the Output line and the DNScache line
                        REMed out... Once I change that it started working.

                        I put all the conf files in /etc/webalizer and run this

                        for i in /etc/webalizer/*.conf; do /home/htdocs/webalizer/webalizer -c $i;
                        done

                        It seemed to work.

                        Jason Greene
                        Sprint
                        913-794-7105

                      • sam harris
                        Message 11 of 16 , Apr 7 9:09 PM

                          myself, as soon as I process the all the log files at 11:59PM, I ship them to a remote server then create new ones.

                          for the cron, I use red hat, I use "crontab -e" which edits  the cron, try "man crontab" first.

                          ---------------------------------

                          Message 12 of 16 , Apr 12 5:53 PM
                            I am trying webalizer on a new set of log files and it fails...

                            DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                            Creating output in /home/bigdisk1/kennedylab/_web/html/kennedy/usage
                            Hostname for reports is 'kennedy.aecom.yu.edu'
                            History file not found...
                            Previous run data not found...
                            Error: Unable to save current run data
                            Generating report for April 2005
                            Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                            Generating summary report
                            Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                            Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                            674 records in 0.02 seconds
                            --

                            Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                            Message 13 of 16 , Apr 12 7:21 PM
                              > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                              [...]
                              > Error: Unable to save current run data
                              [...]
                              > Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                              [...]
                              > Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                              > Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                              You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                              (or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                            • Maurice Volaski
                              Message 14 of 16 , Apr 12 11:07 PM
                                > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                                >[...]
                                >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                                >[...]
                                >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                                >[...]
                                >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                                >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist

                                Thanks for your reply.

                                >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                                I am running as root.

                                >(or you have NO disk space left on the device).

                                About 58 GB free on that volume.
                                --

                                Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                              • Maurice Volaski
                                Message 15 of 16 , Apr 12 11:25 PM
                                  > > DNS Lookup (5): Error: Unable to open DNS cache file dns_cache.db
                                  >[...]
                                  >> Error: Unable to save current run data
                                  >[...]
                                  >> Error: Unable to open file usage_200504.html!
                                  >[...]
                                  >> Error: Unable to open file index.html!
                                  >> Error: Unable to write history file webalizer.hist
                                  >
                                  >You obviously don't have permissions to write files in the directory.

                                  I figured it out. I actually set it up this way and didn't realize
                                  it. The output directory is in the location where the user can FTP
                                  into to upload the web files and could inadvertently erase/alter this
                                  directory and the webalizer output files. So I set the immutable flag
                                  on the directory. That even blocks root. Seems that I just need to
                                  change the owner of this directory and its contents to root to
                                  prevent the user from altering it.
                                  --

                                  Maurice Volaski, mvolaski@...
                                  Message 16 of 16 , Apr 13 1:40 AM
                                    If you have used the RPM install, you'd better use the
                                    webalizer.root user, and run webalizer as that user.

                                    To run a program as user webalizer use, for example:

                                    sudo -u webalizer /opt/webalizer-2.01-10/webalizer -c
                                    /tmp/webalizer/webalizer_griho.conf

                                    (In this case, I use the executable I compiled in the
                                    /opt directory, and a generated conf file in a
                                    temporal directory) I've never used this command
                                    myself, so I don't know what problems you may
                                    encounter using it.

                                    As always, use the man command for further input, "man
                                    sudo" :)