Help me understand Webalizer , pls !

  • Duong Kien
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 15 5:21 PM
      Hi
      I'm a student.
      I want to know how to Webalizer generates Reports.
      Where could I get the answear ?

      rgds,
      kiendq

    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 9 , Mar 15 7:36 PM
        Duong Kien wrote:
        > Hi
        > I'm a student.

        ok...

        > I want to know how to Webalizer generates Reports.

        quite easily... it counts the criteria needed...

        > Where could I get the answear ?

        the source code is the final solution...

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 9 , Mar 16 5:53 AM
          <quote>
          ok...
          quite easily... it counts the criteria needed...
          the source code is the final solution...
          </quote>

          Pardon me if this is off-topic, but haughty, obtuse answers are not very conducive to information-sharing.
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 9 , Mar 16 10:22 AM
            p_d_burton@... wrote:
            > <quote>
            > ok...
            > quite easily... it counts the criteria needed...
            > the source code is the final solution...
            > </quote>
            >
            > Pardon me if this is off-topic, but haughty, obtuse answers are not very conducive to information-sharing.

            i don't know where you buy your answers from but mine don't come with hauty and obtuse... i have to add that... the
            above is definitely not hauty or obtuse and i fail to see how you came up with that attitude when no attitude was
            expressed at all...

            when it comes down to plain bare facts, the above answer(s) are just like a bikini... they are short and to the point...
            they answer the original question(s), too! ;)

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 17 3:01 AM
              --- waldo kitty <wkitty42@...> wrote:

              > p_d_burton@... wrote:
              > > <quote>
              > > ok...
              > > quite easily... it counts the criteria needed...
              > > the source code is the final solution...
              > > </quote>
              > >
              > > Pardon me if this is off-topic, but haughty,
              > obtuse answers are not very conducive to
              > information-sharing.
              >
              > i don't know where you buy your answers from but
              > mine don't come with hauty and obtuse... i have to
              > add that... the
              > above is definitely not hauty or obtuse and i fail
              > to see how you came up with that attitude when no
              > attitude was
              > expressed at all...
              >
              > when it comes down to plain bare facts, the above
              > answer(s) are just like a bikini... they are short
              > and to the point...
              > they answer the original question(s), too! ;)

              Hello:

              Please relax and read this.

              FUNCTION answer_in_friendly_manner question eranswerer
              BEGIN
              //(this is written in pseudo-code)
              I believe that $answerer means that explaining
              accurately how webalizer generates reports is very
              long and that $answerer gets nothing from using
              several hours explaining matters that $questioner
              would understand way better if $questioner actually
              opened the source code with a text editor and examined
              it using his knowledge in C.;
              Once $questioner has gotten a hold of C language and
              actually made the effort to examine the source code,
              $questioner will be able to formulate more concrete
              questions that will have a higher probability of being
              answered by $answerer.;
              reference_URL(
              http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=how+to+make+intelligent+questions&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda&meta=
              );
              END

              answer_in_friendly_manner( this.student,
              this.waldo_kitty )

              Make Yahoo! your home page
              http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 9 , Mar 17 7:05 AM
                Enric Naval wrote:

                [trim]
                > Hello:
                >
                > Please relax and read this.

                excellent! i love it!! extremely accurate ;) ;)

                > FUNCTION answer_in_friendly_manner question eranswerer
                > BEGIN
                > //(this is written in pseudo-code)
                > I believe that $answerer means that explaining
                > accurately how webalizer generates reports is very
                > long and that $answerer gets nothing from using
                > several hours explaining matters that $questioner
                > would understand way better if $questioner actually
                > opened the source code with a text editor and examined
                > it using his knowledge in C.;
                > Once $questioner has gotten a hold of C language and
                > actually made the effort to examine the source code,
                > $questioner will be able to formulate more concrete
                > questions that will have a higher probability of being
                > answered by $answerer.;
                > reference_URL(
                > http://www.google.es/search?hl=es&q=how+to+make+intelligent+questions&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda&meta=

                i'll have to bookmark that url for future use O:)

                --
                _\/
                Message 7 of 9 , Mar 17 8:55 AM
                  <quote>
                  excellent! i love it!! extremely accurate ;) ;)
                  </quote>

                  Agreed. While a concise, well-executed question is the easiest to answer, doing a little extra to connect with the "asker" saves time and confusion. I think this is a big hurdle for OSS especially: most support comes from developers.

                  I am not a programmer or developer, I am a technical writer for a software company, and every day I have to explain to programmers why software has to be usable. I think the problem is that programmers are too close to the software. The focus is put more on the "why" than the "how." Ultimately (in extreme cases), programmers don't even know how to _use_ the software, just why someone would need to execute this method, or call that function, etc.

                  In the example at hand, when a user asks how Webalizer works in a general way, you _could_ tersely state the utterly obvious (while assuming that the "asker" is ignorant), or you could, for example, point them toward some other resource (we assume _you_ are a resource given the fact that you participate in this list). You could even (horrors!) _ask_ for clarification of the question.

                  I don't want to beat a dead horse. I know this is not the forum for this particular discussion. I just want to make clear my opinion that projects like this would be much easier to work with if _everyone_ went out of his/her way to understand and be understood, regardless of whether other people are doing it.
                • waldo kitty
                  Message 8 of 9 , Mar 17 9:49 AM
                    p_d_burton@... wrote:
                    > <quote>
                    > excellent! i love it!! extremely accurate ;) ;)
                    > </quote>
                    >
                    > Agreed. While a concise, well-executed question is the easiest to answer, doing a little extra to connect with the "asker" saves time and confusion. I think this is a big hurdle for OSS especially: most support comes from developers.

                    in some cases, yes... in many others, it comes from testers and users who have dug in and worked out the how's and why's ;)

                    > I am not a programmer or developer, I am a technical writer for a software company, and every day I have to explain to programmers why software has to be usable. I think the problem is that programmers are too close to the software. The focus is put more on the "why" than the "how." Ultimately (in extreme cases), programmers don't even know how to _use_ the software, just why someone would need to execute this method, or call that function, etc.

                    this is very true... i've been a coder for many years... close to 30 if i really count... i've also done technical
                    writting insofar as writting some user structural manuals but that was many years ago, too... your thoughts on the
                    coders being too close to the code is accurate, too... i do recognize that what is obvious to a coder may not be obvious
                    to a user...

                    as an example, i remember way back when the tandy 1000 first hit the streets... there were many many folk who diligently
                    followed the instructions in the manual and wiped out the only boot floppy that came with the machine... this happened
                    because the manual never explicitly stated to remove the boot floppy and insert a blank one... the "funniest" thing
                    about this situation was that it was the section starting off about making backup copies of the boot floppy in case
                    something happened to it and the original was unusable! ;) ;) of course, that was only funny to those like myself that
                    saw the problem and couldn't believe that that one single step being left out could really cause such a situation...

                    anyway, my main goal in answering that post was to give that person at least one answer because i figured that not many
                    others would answer him... this group is pretty low traffic, ya know... i also figured that that person would reply with
                    a few more questions asking for further clarification... i'll also note that no one else has written an answer in the
                    group to that person's original question ;)

                    --
                    _\/
                    (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 17 12:01 PM
                      waldo said...

                      i'll also note that no one else has
                      > written an answer in the
                      > group to that person's original question ;)

                      Oooops, you're right.

                      Okay, let's see, allow me to make a small answer for
                      that person.

                      The actual webalizer reports are generated in the
                      files "output.c" and "output.h".

                      The logfiles that are feeded to webalizer are parsed
                      in "parser.h" and "parser.c".

                      The nice graphs are generated in "graphs.h" and
                      "graphs.c". Pretty obvious until here. (From now on
                      I'll use something.h/c instead something.h,
                      something.c)

                      Webalizer uses internally both lists and hashtables,
                      those are defined in "hastab.h/c" and "linklist.h/c".

                      "dns_resolv./hc" make the DNS resolution, to translate
                      IPs to hostnames.

                      "preserve.h/c" I believe it is for managing the
                      incremental mode, the histoy file, and such.

                      Webalizer parses the logfiles with parser.h/c, saving
                      the parsed information in structures which are defined
                      in hastab.h/c and linklist.h/c. If dns resolving is
                      on, it will use the functions defined in dns_resolv to
                      resolve the IPs. Then it uses preserve.h/c to decide
                      what output it should generate, and finally executes
                      the functions in output.h/c to generate the actual
                      HTML pages where you can the stats of your web server.

                      Basically, "parser" will fill up the hashtables and
                      linked lists, and "output" will simply go over them in
                      an ordered manner and output them in a human-readable
                      manner,and make some convinient calculations like
                      "daily average of visits" by counting all visits and
                      dividing by the number of days.

                      The rest of things are just filler designed to add
                      nice features.

                      http://mail.yahoo.com