Broken DNS lookup?

  • Stephen Block
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005
      Hi,

      I recently recompiled webalizer after changing the useragent field size
      so that it catches firefox, and since I recompiled it the dns doesn't
      seem to work. Any thoughts. I'm not a programmer or anything, just
      trying to learn my way, so any help would be appreciated.
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005
        --- soren625 <p_d_burton@...> wrote:

        > Hi,
        >
        > I am trying to create an alias in httpd.conf like
        > so:
        >
        > #
        > # Webalizer usage statistics page
        > #
        > Alias /usage/ "/var/www/usage/"
        >
        > <Directory "/var/www/usage">
        > AllowOverride All
        > Options None
        > Order allow,deny
        > Allow from ALL
        > </Directory>
        >
        > that will allow me to view usage statistics from the
        > Web.
        >
        > However, when I restart apache with this alias
        > added, I get this:
        >
        > Starting httpd: [Mon Mar 07 13:26:38 2005] [warn]
        > The Alias directive
        > in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 530 will
        > probably never match
        > because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

        This is because in a line before line 530 you have an
        Alias line that goes similar to this:

        Alias /usage "/some/path/to/somewhere"

        or lke this:

        Alias /us "/some/path/to/there"

        Any request will be compared by apache alias by alias,
        in the same order they the alias are listed in
        httpd.conf.

        These alias I have put here happen to match the same
        requests that the line you are trying to add and are
        also listed before in httpd.conf.

        So: any "/usatge/blablabla" request from a visitor to
        your website will match both a "/us" alias and a
        "/usatge/" alias, but "/us" is listed before in
        httpd.conf, so it is the first one to be compared, and
        so it is the first one to be matched.

        Once that one alias line is matched, no more alias
        lines are compared to the request (because you cannot
        alias to two different places).

        Apache notices this problem and then issues a warning
        so you can mend your alias list.

        > I know this is not specifically a Webalizer issue,
        > but I thought
        > perhaps some of you Webalizer pros may have some
        > experience in this
        > matter.
        >
        > Thanks.

        http://mail.yahoo.com
      • Stephen Block
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005
          Ah, worked it out, sorry to trouble you, hadn't set the dns.