Trying to Create apache alias for webalizer output directory

  • soren625
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 7, 2005

      I am trying to create an alias in httpd.conf like so:

      #
      # Webalizer usage statistics page
      #
      Alias /usage/ "/var/www/usage/"

      <Directory "/var/www/usage">
      AllowOverride All
      Options None
      Order allow,deny
      Allow from ALL
      </Directory>

      that will allow me to view usage statistics from the Web.

      However, when I restart apache with this alias added, I get this:

      Starting httpd: [Mon Mar 07 13:26:38 2005] [warn] The Alias directive
      in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 530 will probably never match
      because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

      I know this is not specifically a Webalizer issue, but I thought
      perhaps some of you Webalizer pros may have some experience in this
      matter.

      Thanks.
    • Stephen Block
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005

        I recently recompiled webalizer after changing the useragent field size
        so that it catches firefox, and since I recompiled it the dns doesn't
        seem to work. Any thoughts. I'm not a programmer or anything, just
        trying to learn my way, so any help would be appreciated.
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005
          --- soren625 <p_d_burton@...> wrote:

          > Hi,
          >
          > I am trying to create an alias in httpd.conf like
          > so:
          >
          > #
          > # Webalizer usage statistics page
          > #
          > Alias /usage/ "/var/www/usage/"
          >
          > <Directory "/var/www/usage">
          > AllowOverride All
          > Options None
          > Order allow,deny
          > Allow from ALL
          > </Directory>
          >
          > that will allow me to view usage statistics from the
          > Web.
          >
          > However, when I restart apache with this alias
          > added, I get this:
          >
          > Starting httpd: [Mon Mar 07 13:26:38 2005] [warn]
          > The Alias directive
          > in /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf at line 530 will
          > probably never match
          > because it overlaps an earlier Alias.

          This is because in a line before line 530 you have an
          Alias line that goes similar to this:

          Alias /usage "/some/path/to/somewhere"

          or lke this:

          Alias /us "/some/path/to/there"

          Any request will be compared by apache alias by alias,
          in the same order they the alias are listed in
          httpd.conf.

          These alias I have put here happen to match the same
          requests that the line you are trying to add and are
          also listed before in httpd.conf.

          So: any "/usatge/blablabla" request from a visitor to
          your website will match both a "/us" alias and a
          "/usatge/" alias, but "/us" is listed before in
          httpd.conf, so it is the first one to be compared, and
          so it is the first one to be matched.

          Once that one alias line is matched, no more alias
          lines are compared to the request (because you cannot
          alias to two different places).

          Apache notices this problem and then issues a warning
          so you can mend your alias list.

          > I know this is not specifically a Webalizer issue,
          > but I thought
          > perhaps some of you Webalizer pros may have some
          > experience in this
          > matter.
          >
          > Thanks.

          http://mail.yahoo.com
        • Stephen Block
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 8, 2005
            Ah, worked it out, sorry to trouble you, hadn't set the dns.