Re: Search strings, engines and agents STILL not showing up

  • jlyandco
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 18, 2005
      It sounds like part of the problem here may be that Webalizer is
      running on a server that hosts at least a dozen different virtual
      hosts on my server.

      I don't think that I can list ALL of the different paths to the
      differrent logs in my httpd.conf file, can I? I know that -- once I
      "install" (okay, the IHP actually does it automatically when I say
      "go" from my server control panel) a webalizer.conf file is then
      available to me, which I can configure as I wish... but I think that I
      may "break"' something if I tweak my httpd.conf file without knowing
      EXACTLY what to do.

      So, are you suggesting that I modify my httpd.conf to read:

      CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log combined
      CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost02.com-access_log combined
      CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost03.com-access_log combined

      This is a bit over my head, so ANY help would be appreciated.

      Thanks for your patience as well as your guidance! You folks continue
      to demonstrate the better qualities in humanity... thanks!

      Kind regards,
      Jeff

      ================================

      --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@y...>
      wrote:
      > In webalizer.conf you have:
      >
      > LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log
      >
      > but in httpd.conf you have:
      >
      > CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
      > combined
      >

      > Shouldn't it be like this? :) Notice it says
      > "combined". Maybe you are using "common" instead.
      > THis would explain the problems you are having.
      >
      > CustomLog /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log combined
      >

      > In your access_log you should have lines like this
      > (all in one line):
      >
      > xxxxxxxxx.direcpc.com - - [01/Feb/2005:23:56:59 +0100]
      > "GET /ipo/transpas/cscw.ppt HTTP/1.1" 200 535552

      "http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&q=presentacion
      +PPT+del+Planeta+Tierra&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda&lr="

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
        It's more difficult than that.

        In your httpd.conf, you problably have several
        VitualHost containers. You have to place a different
        CustomLog directive in each container. Containers
        without a CustomLog directive will have by default its
        visits written in the general log.

        <VirtualHost virtualhost01>
        CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
        combined
        Other_directives....
        </VirtualHost>

        <VirtualHost virtualhost02>
        CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
        combined
        Other_directives....
        </VirtualHost>

        # This virtual host will have its visits
        # written in access_log
        <VirtualHost virtualhost03>
        Other_directives....
        </VirtualHost>

        Make sure that you have a line like this somewhere in
        ypur httpd.conf, before any CustomLog line. This is
        the most standard log format, you should have already
        it somewhere in the file:

        LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
        \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

        You probably were using a format like this. This is
        the common format, with no referrer nor user agent (it
        has no search strings, because they are found in the
        referrers):

        (I have looked at your former emails, and you do have
        these lines, ....)

        =====

        http://mail.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
          Errrr, in this example both virtual hosts 01 and 02
          get written to the 01 logfile, because I forgot to
          change the name in the CustomLog line. In the second
          container, it should be "02", not "01". This is an
          example of a typical mistake that can break your logs
          :(

          =====

          http://mail.yahoo.com