Re: [webalizer] Search strings, engines and agents STILL not showing up

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
      > In webalizer.conf you have:
      >
      > LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log
      >
      > but in httpd.conf you have:
      >
      > CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
      > combined
      >

      >> Shouldn't it be like this? :)

      The paths are different.. unless there is some symlink or other
      method of mapping the files, the log being processed might not
      be the one that was thought to be.

    • jlyandco
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 18, 2005
        It sounds like part of the problem here may be that Webalizer is
        running on a server that hosts at least a dozen different virtual
        hosts on my server.

        I don't think that I can list ALL of the different paths to the
        differrent logs in my httpd.conf file, can I? I know that -- once I
        "install" (okay, the IHP actually does it automatically when I say
        "go" from my server control panel) a webalizer.conf file is then
        available to me, which I can configure as I wish... but I think that I
        may "break"' something if I tweak my httpd.conf file without knowing
        EXACTLY what to do.

        So, are you suggesting that I modify my httpd.conf to read:

        CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log combined
        CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost02.com-access_log combined
        CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost03.com-access_log combined

        This is a bit over my head, so ANY help would be appreciated.

        Thanks for your patience as well as your guidance! You folks continue
        to demonstrate the better qualities in humanity... thanks!

        Kind regards,
        Jeff

        ================================

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@y...>
        wrote:
        > In webalizer.conf you have:
        >
        > LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log
        >
        > but in httpd.conf you have:
        >
        > CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
        > combined
        >

        > Shouldn't it be like this? :) Notice it says
        > "combined". Maybe you are using "common" instead.
        > THis would explain the problems you are having.
        >
        > CustomLog /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log combined
        >

        > In your access_log you should have lines like this
        > (all in one line):
        >
        > xxxxxxxxx.direcpc.com - - [01/Feb/2005:23:56:59 +0100]
        > "GET /ipo/transpas/cscw.ppt HTTP/1.1" 200 535552

        "http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&q=presentacion
        +PPT+del+Planeta+Tierra&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda&lr="

        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
          It's more difficult than that.

          In your httpd.conf, you problably have several
          VitualHost containers. You have to place a different
          CustomLog directive in each container. Containers
          without a CustomLog directive will have by default its
          visits written in the general log.

          <VirtualHost virtualhost01>
          CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
          combined
          Other_directives....
          </VirtualHost>

          <VirtualHost virtualhost02>
          CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
          combined
          Other_directives....
          </VirtualHost>

          # This virtual host will have its visits
          # written in access_log
          <VirtualHost virtualhost03>
          Other_directives....
          </VirtualHost>

          Make sure that you have a line like this somewhere in
          ypur httpd.conf, before any CustomLog line. This is
          the most standard log format, you should have already
          it somewhere in the file:

          LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
          \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

          You probably were using a format like this. This is
          the common format, with no referrer nor user agent (it
          has no search strings, because they are found in the
          referrers):

          (I have looked at your former emails, and you do have
          these lines, ....)

          =====

          http://mail.yahoo.com
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
            Errrr, in this example both virtual hosts 01 and 02
            get written to the 01 logfile, because I forgot to
            change the name in the CustomLog line. In the second
            container, it should be "02", not "01". This is an
            example of a typical mistake that can break your logs
            :(

            =====

            http://mail.yahoo.com