Search strings, engines and agents STILL not showing up

  • jlyandco
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 15, 2005
      Not to be a broken record, but... can someone please help me figure
      out what's broke?

      I seem to get everything I want reporting, except for the agents used,
      or the search strings and engines used.

      I'm listing the log section of my httpd.conf file, as well as one of
      my webalizer.conf files so that you can see what I've got... and can
      pointout the obvious thing(s) that I'm missing.

      If I can answer any questions or be of ANY help to you, just ask!

      Thanks,
      Jeff
      =====================================
      FROM HTTPD.CONF
      ================
      # HostnameLookups: Log the names of clients or just their IP addresses
      # e.g., www.apache.org (on) or 204.62.129.132 (off).
      # The default is off because it'd be overall better for the net if
      people
      # had to knowingly turn this feature on, since enabling it means that
      # each client request will result in AT LEAST one lookup request to
      the
      # nameserver.
      #
      HostnameLookups On
      #
      ErrorLog logs/error_log
      #
      # LogLevel: Control the number of messages logged to the error_log.
      # alert, emerg.
      #
      LogLevel warn
      #
      # The following directives define some format nicknames for use with
      # a CustomLog directive (see below).
      #
      LogFormat "%{Referer}i -> %U" referer
      LogFormat "%{User-agent}i" agent
      LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
      \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined
      #
      # The location and format of the access logfile (Common Logfile
      Format).
      # If you do not define any access logfiles within a <VirtualHost>
      # container, they will be logged here. Contrariwise, if you *do*
      # define per-<VirtualHost> access logfiles, transactions will be
      # logged therein and *not* in this file.
      #
      #CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log common
      #
      # If you would like to have agent and referer logfiles, uncomment the
      # following directives.
      #
      CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/referer_log referer
      CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/agent_log agent
      #
      # If you prefer a single logfile with access, agent, and referer
      information
      # (Combined Logfile Format) you can use the following directive.
      #
      CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log combined
      FROM WEBALIZER.CONF
      ===================
      AllSites yes
      AllURLs yes
      AllReferrers yes
      AllSearchStr yes
      CountryGraph yes
      GMTTime no
      GraphLegend yes
      GraphLines 2
      #GroupAgent
      GroupHighlight yes
      #GroupReferrer
      GroupShading yes
      #GroupSite
      #GroupURL
      #HideAgent
      HideReferrer *jlyarberry.com/
      HideReferrer jlyarberry.com/cpanel*
      HideReferrer *jlyarberry.com/html/
      HideReferrer jlyarberry.com/webalizer*
      HideSite *jlyarberry.com
      HideSite localhost
      HideURL */cpanel
      HideURL *.gif
      HideURL *.GIF
      HideURL *.png
      HideURL *.PNG
      HideURL *.ra
      HideUser cpanel
      HideUser login
      HourlyGraph yes
      HourlyStats yes
      #IgnoreAgent
      #IgnoreReferrer
      #IgnoreSite
      #IgnoreURL
      #IncludeAgent
      #IncludeReferrer
      #IncludeSite
      #IncludeURL
      IndexAlias index
      LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log
      MangleAgents Level 1
      SearchEngine yahoo.com p=
      SearchEngine altavista.com q=
      SearchEngine google.com q=
      SearchEngine eureka.com q=
      SearchEngine lycos.com query=
      SearchEngine hotbot.com MT=
      SearchEngine msn.com MT=
      SearchEngine infoseek.com qt=
      SearchEngine webcrawler searchText=
      SearchEngine excite search=
      SearchEngine netscape.com search=
      SearchEngine mamma.com query=
      SearchEngine alltheweb.com query=
      SearchEngine northernlight.com qr=
      PageType *.htm
      PageType *.html
      PageType *.cgi
      ReportTitle Usage Statistics for
      TopAgents 15
      TopCountries 50
      TopEntry 10
      TopExit 10
      TopKSites 10
      TopKURLs 50
      TopReferrers 50
      TopSearch 20
      TopSites 30
      TopURLs 100
      VisitTimeout 003000
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
        In webalizer.conf you have:

        LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log

        but in httpd.conf you have:

        CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
        combined

        Shouldn't it be like this? :) Notice it says
        "combined". Maybe you are using "common" instead.
        THis would explain the problems you are having.

        CustomLog /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log combined

        In your access_log you should have lines like this
        (all in one line):

        xxxxxxxxx.direcpc.com - - [01/Feb/2005:23:56:59 +0100]
        "GET /ipo/transpas/cscw.ppt HTTP/1.1" 200 535552
        "http://www.google.com/search?hl=es&q=presentacion+PPT+del+Planeta+Tierra&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda&lr="
        "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)"

        This is for someone searching google for "presentacion
        PPT del Planeta Tierra", using MSIE 6.0. A "common"
        format log file will lack this information.

        =====

        http://my.yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 17, 2005
          > In webalizer.conf you have:
          >
          > LogFile /www/logs/jlyarberry.com-access_log
          >
          > but in httpd.conf you have:
          >
          > CustomLog /usr/local/etc/httpd/logs/access_log
          > combined
          >

          >> Shouldn't it be like this? :)

          The paths are different.. unless there is some symlink or other
          method of mapping the files, the log being processed might not
          be the one that was thought to be.

        • jlyandco
          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 18, 2005
            It sounds like part of the problem here may be that Webalizer is
            running on a server that hosts at least a dozen different virtual
            hosts on my server.

            I don't think that I can list ALL of the different paths to the
            differrent logs in my httpd.conf file, can I? I know that -- once I
            "install" (okay, the IHP actually does it automatically when I say
            "go" from my server control panel) a webalizer.conf file is then
            available to me, which I can configure as I wish... but I think that I
            may "break"' something if I tweak my httpd.conf file without knowing
            EXACTLY what to do.

            So, are you suggesting that I modify my httpd.conf to read:

            CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log combined
            CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost02.com-access_log combined
            CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost03.com-access_log combined

            This is a bit over my head, so ANY help would be appreciated.

            Thanks for your patience as well as your guidance! You folks continue
            to demonstrate the better qualities in humanity... thanks!

            Kind regards,
            Jeff

            ================================

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, Enric Naval <enventa2000@y...>

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
              It's more difficult than that.

              In your httpd.conf, you problably have several
              VitualHost containers. You have to place a different
              CustomLog directive in each container. Containers
              without a CustomLog directive will have by default its
              visits written in the general log.

              <VirtualHost virtualhost01>
              CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
              combined
              Other_directives....
              </VirtualHost>

              <VirtualHost virtualhost02>
              CustomLog /www/logs/virtualhost01.com-access_log
              combined
              Other_directives....
              </VirtualHost>

              # This virtual host will have its visits
              # written in access_log
              <VirtualHost virtualhost03>
              Other_directives....
              </VirtualHost>

              Make sure that you have a line like this somewhere in
              ypur httpd.conf, before any CustomLog line. This is
              the most standard log format, you should have already
              it somewhere in the file:

              LogFormat "%h %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b \"%{Referer}i\"
              \"%{User-Agent}i\"" combined

              You probably were using a format like this. This is
              the common format, with no referrer nor user agent (it
              has no search strings, because they are found in the
              referrers):

              (I have looked at your former emails, and you do have
              these lines, ....)

              =====

              http://mail.yahoo.com
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 21, 2005
                Errrr, in this example both virtual hosts 01 and 02
                get written to the 01 logfile, because I forgot to
                change the name in the CustomLog line. In the second
                container, it should be "02", not "01". This is an
                example of a typical mistake that can break your logs
                :(

                =====

                http://mail.yahoo.com