RE: [webalizer] exit pages

  • Peter Yanke - BX Internet
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
      Greg,

      Your Director is right in a sense on Total Hits. Hits are recorded whenever
      any part of your site is brought up, which would include every visit, every
      image, every time another site linked with you...etc. So for example, if you
      had six images and some text on your front page, be it thumbnails or
      full-size or even a background image, whenever someone visits your site it
      will record 7 hits. (one for the site visit and one for each image being
      displayed. So you can see where hits counts can be misleading and unreliable
      as far as a getting an accurate picture of what pages are being visited on
      the site. This is why the ever popular Hit Counters are no longer as
      prevalent on websites as they used to be.

      Of course you are right about only using the exit pages being inaccurate as
      well. My suggestion would be to use the section in Webalizer called
      TotalURLS along with the Entry and Exit Pages sections to get a picture of
      what's going on with visitors to the site. Make sure of course it is
      configured to ignore images and non-page files like script files, but it
      should give you a pretty accurate picture if configured correctly.

      Another useful tool is the Referrers section which can be configured to tell
      you which search engines have sent people your way and which keywords were
      used. Hope this all helps.

      CorbinB2

      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 5, 2005
        > Your Director is right in a sense on Total Hits. Hits are recorded whenever
        > any part of your site is brought up, which would include every visit, every
        > image, every time another site linked with you...etc. So for example, if you
        > had six images and some text on your front page, be it thumbnails or
        > full-size or even a background image, whenever someone visits your site it
        > will record 7 hits. (one for the site visit and one for each image being
        > displayed. So you can see where hits counts can be misleading and unreliable
        > as far as a getting an accurate picture of what pages are being visited on
        > the site. This is why the ever popular Hit Counters are no longer as
        > prevalent on websites as they used to be.

        That is the misconception that I spoke of earlier.. the hit count to a
        specific URL is not misleading, it is the actual number of times that
        particular URL was requested regardless of what other links or images
        it may have imbededed within it.