Re: [webalizer] Re: Error on run

    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 19, 2005
      Even better: first of all backup the whole stats
      directory!

      If you screw webalizer.current and re-run webalizer,
      you may accidentally delete the 2004 stats.....

      If you can't solve the problem, you'll always be on
      time to restart the stats from scratch starting in
      january 2005, and make a separate directory with the
      old 2004 stats.

      --- jd_314159 <jd_314159@...> wrote:

      > It seems that your webalizer.current got corrupted.
      > Open the file and
      > see if there's anything out of the ordinary (this
      > file can be quite
      > big, check if your editor can handle the size
      > first). It's supposed
      > to be a textual file. Then, backup the file and
      > delete it (or just
      > rename). Now you will be able to process the current
      > month again
      > (begin from January 1st).
      >
      > You might want to try doing this in a test directory
      > first, just to
      > see if it has anything to do with the content of one
      > of the logs.
      > Backing up existing files is always a good idea too.
      >

      > J.D.
      >
      > --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "ejdbroker"
      > <ejdbroker@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > Hey all:
      > >
      > > Ever since the first of the year (may be
      > indicative, may be a
      > > coincience) my webalizer on my raq4 Cobalt server
      > hasnt run.
      > >
      > > Of course my clients are just now reporting it
      > (sigh)
      > >
      > > When i try to run it manually i get:
      > >
      > > Error: Unable to restore run data (13)
      > >
      > > Any ideas?

      =====

      http://mail.yahoo.com
    • ejdbroker
      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 20, 2005
        helpful suggestions. But there are 70+ sites each with their own
        webalizer.current file, you think they are all corrupt? When i run
        webalizer manually it pretty much immediatly errors out.....
      • jd_314159
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 20, 2005
          It depends on how your script is written. May be the first error
          makes it to bail out. This I cannot really answer. How many websites
          have you tried to process manually? If more than one, then there may
          be something in the log files that got saved in webalizer.current
          (may be more than one) and triggers this behavior. I don't think 70+
          websites would be affected, but a couple can be (like a hacking
          attempt producing very long URLs, etc).

          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
            Well, you were right, the first site to process had a bad
            webalizer.current file. The others seem to be ok, but now the
            problem is that the log files are too big. Weblizer skips em
            because of their size. Anyway to bypass that? I dont see any
            switch on the command to ignore that part...?

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "jd_314159"

            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 24, 2005
              > problem is that the log files are too big. Weblizer skips em

              Are you saying that some log entries are too big or that the
              Webalizer won't process a file because it's too big? The latter
              shouldn't really happen - there's no limitation on the file size in
              Webalizer (large files may put strain on memory though). Exceedingly
              large entries should be reported and ignored by the Webalizer. Find
              out the log line that gives you trouble and see if there's anything
              unusual about it (eg. size, content).

              Message 6 of 9 , Jan 25, 2005
                Well if i try to manually run the script that calls webalizer for each
                site i get:

                Error: Skipping oversized log record

                Some logs over over 6megs (all january).

                Message 7 of 9 , Jan 25, 2005
                  You need to figure out which log record causes this and remove it
                  from the file (manually). Try turning on the debug mode - this may
                  help you to figure out the problem without having to go through the
                  file. eg:

                  webalizer -d ...

                  Normally the Webalizer skips such records automatically, but it seems
                  that there's something in this file that the Webalizer doesn't expect.