resurrect January?

  • Brian Quinn
    Message 1 of 18 , Jan 10, 2005
      here's my issue. i don't care if it takes some manual labor to do either.

      We keep our webalizer stats for each year since 2001. I screwed up and the
      first few days of 2005 ran, and overwrote my Jan 2004 stats. I still have
      my January 2004 log files, along with most of the year, but i missing
      September, so i can't just re-run the whole year. Is there a way i can
      run just January, then somehow drop the other months on top of it, then
      just re-run December to update the images?

      Thanks

      Brian
    • jd_314159
      Message 2 of 18 , Jan 11, 2005
        The history used to generate the home page is stored in
        webalizer.hist (open it to see what it looks like - it stores last 12
        months' worth of data). Last month's state is stored in
        webalizer.current (that is where all data is summed up for each URL,
        IP address, etc), as well as the current timestamp (everything prior
        to this timestamp is ignored). You should be able to recreate your
        stats by manipulating these files.

        * Make a copy of your existing stats!!! Heck, make two copies, just
        in case :)
        * Do January 2004 with an empty output directory: -o empty-dir
        * If you ever need to do this kind of thing for a month within last
        12 months (_not in this case_), open webalizer.hist and replace the
        mathing line in your old webalizer.hist with the one just generated
        * copy generated stats for January 2004 into the old stats directory
        * delete webalizer.current from the old directory and process all
        January 2005 logs again.

        This should do the trick.

        J.D.