mod_rewrite and webalizer!

  • mike@exocrew.com
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 7, 2005
      I asked this question on devshed:
      "
      I have a problem when using mod_rewrite to redirect *.domain.com to
      domain.com/* (this.domain.com shows content from domain.com/this) ... This
      is an internal redirection and not browser based redirection.

      When I run webalizer for domain.com, It doesnt includes subdomain or
      directory name in logs. It just has file names, showing how many bytes
      they have used etc..

      Is there any way to include the subdomain or directory name as well?
      I believe there must be some required changes in the LogFormat of apache..

      Thanks..
      "

      And then from i reply, I changed my logformat for the virtualhost as:
      LogFormat "%v %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" comonvhost
      CustomLog /var/www/logs/hirsch.it/vhost_log comonvhost

      But that didn't do anygood for waiting over a week (new logs and stuff)...
      It is still showing just the file names ..

      Any idea how to configure webalizer to include subdir name and the url..

      Thanks..
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
        I think that you can't do this, because the
        redirection is internal, so the original request is
        never changed.

        You can't include the subdiretoy name manually inside
        te request, because LogFormat uses a single
        undivisible option for the request (%r).

        You COULD do several virtual hosts with *.domain.com,
        each one using a diferent logfile. Inside every
        virtual host container, the CustomLog line would use a
        diferent logfile, like aaa.domain.com.log,
        bbb.domain.com.log.... You can then put together a
        script that will add the correct subdirectory to every
        entry in the file, probably using the command "sed".

        [root]# cat subdir.log
        - - "GET /aipo/mapa.jsp HTTP/1.0" 200 16054
        [root]# sed s/"GET \\/"/"GET \\/subdir"/g subdir.log
        - - "GET /subdir/aipo/mapa.jsp HTTP/1.0" 200 16054
        [root]#

        Also, I don't understand that they made you use %v
        instead of %h, being %v your Apache ServerName, and %h
        the requester's hostname. By doing this, you won't be
        able to see what IP the requests are coming from.
        Webalizer will believe that all you requests origin
        from your server itself!

        --- mike@... wrote:

        > I asked this question on devshed:
        > "
        > I have a problem when using mod_rewrite to redirect
        > *.domain.com to
        > domain.com/* (this.domain.com shows content from
        > domain.com/this) ... This
        > is an internal redirection and not browser based
        > redirection.
        >
        > When I run webalizer for domain.com, It doesnt
        > includes subdomain or
        > directory name in logs. It just has file names,
        > showing how many bytes
        > they have used etc..
        >
        > Is there any way to include the subdomain or
        > directory name as well?
        > I believe there must be some required changes in the
        > LogFormat of apache..
        >
        > Thanks..
        > "
        >
        > And then from i reply, I changed my logformat for
        > the virtualhost as:
        > LogFormat "%v %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" comonvhost
        > CustomLog /var/www/logs/hirsch.it/vhost_log
        > comonvhost
        >
        > But that didn't do anygood for waiting over a week
        > (new logs and stuff)...
        > It is still showing just the file names ..
        >
        > Any idea how to configure webalizer to include
        > subdir name and the url..
        >
        > Thanks..

        =====

        http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250
      • jd_314159
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 8, 2005
          > Any idea how to configure webalizer to include subdir name and the
          url..

          Webalizer can only process what's in the logs. If you can get Apache
          to put what you need into the log file, you can (most likely) analyze
          it with the Webalizer.

          Depending on how you rewrite URLs and (mostly) how much effort you
          want to put into this, you can probably use RewriteLog output and
          combine it with the logs...

          > LogFormat "%v %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" comonvhost

          I agree with Enric that %v in the configuration is most likely your
          hosting company configuration mistake. Talk to them - without either %
          a (address) or %h (address or host name, depending on
          HostnameLookups) any log analyzer isn't going as be much useful.

          If your hosting company doesn't change your log line, you can still
          use Webalizer to analyze your logs - take a look here:

          http://www.stonesteps.ca/projects/webalizer/faq.asp?qid=q20041208-
          01&topic=webalizer

          J.D.

        • mike@exocrew.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
            Hello,

            I read the apache site and I got a log format using which I am getting
            something like this now:

            subdirname.domain.com 213.212.222.193 - - [08/Jan/2005:21:08:40 -0600]
            "GET /style_images/1/tile_sub.gif HTTP/1.1" 304 -

            subdirname.domain.com goes to domain.com/subdir/ ... I dont mind if
            webalizer can just include the subdomain or the subdir. Anyone of those is
            fine. But will webalizer be able to parse the above logs correctly??

            I used:
            LogFormat "%{Host}i %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b" vcommon

            Got it from:
            http://httpd.apache.org/docs/vhosts/mass.html

            Thanks for the help..
            >> Any idea how to configure webalizer to include subdir name and the
            > url..
            >
            > Webalizer can only process what's in the logs. If you can get Apache
            > to put what you need into the log file, you can (most likely) analyze
            > it with the Webalizer.
            >
            > Depending on how you rewrite URLs and (mostly) how much effort you
            > want to put into this, you can probably use RewriteLog output and
            > combine it with the logs...
            >
            >> LogFormat "%v %l %u %t \"%r\" %>s %b" comonvhost
            >
            > I agree with Enric that %v in the configuration is most likely your
            > hosting company configuration mistake. Talk to them - without either %
            > a (address) or %h (address or host name, depending on
            > HostnameLookups) any log analyzer isn't going as be much useful.
            >
            > If your hosting company doesn't change your log line, you can still
            > use Webalizer to analyze your logs - take a look here:
            >
            > http://www.stonesteps.ca/projects/webalizer/faq.asp?qid=q20041208-
            > 01&topic=webalizer
            >
            > J.D.
          • jd_314159
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
              > fine. But will webalizer be able to parse the above logs correctly??
              > LogFormat "%{Host}i %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b" vcommon

              Depends on the version. Some will, some won't. If you use the build
              by Stone Steps, you can add this to webalizer.conf:

              ApacheLogFormat %{Host}i %h %l %u %t \"%r\" %s %b

              You might also want to add referrer, user agent and time taken (%D).
              See more here:

              http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/mod/mod_log_config.html#customlog

            • mike@exocrew.com
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 9, 2005
                Sorry, but I forgot to tell that I am using version 1.3 and not 2.0 so the
                %D doesnt works for me.

                Thanks for suggestions.

                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 10, 2005
                  The "official" version in webalizer.org will fail to
                  read that correctly. It will believe that
                  subdir.domain.com is the host the visitors are coming
                  from.

                  =====

                  http://info.mail.yahoo.com/mail_250