execute more than one logfile

  • Stefan Hofmeir
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
      Hello,

      i am running Webalizer V2.01-10 and I have daily log files in this
      name format:
      domain.net-2004-12-30-access_log
      domain.net-2004-12-31-access_log

      How can I start webalizer to execute more than one (ca. 90) of such
      logfiles?

      I have forgotten to webalize one daily file. How can I webalize this
      manually after already webalizing the following daily logfiles?
      (with the normal command
      # webalizer -c /etc/webalizer_domain.net.conf domain.net-2004-12-30-access_log
      I get only "Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field")

      --
      Thanks all
      Stefan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
        Stefan Hofmeir wrote:
        > Hello,
        >
        > i am running Webalizer V2.01-10 and I have daily log files in this
        > name format:
        > domain.net-2004-12-30-access_log
        > domain.net-2004-12-31-access_log

        If you look in your .conf file, you'll see that you are using
        Incremental processing, and have the line
        Incremental yes

        > How can I start webalizer to execute more than one (ca. 90) of such
        > logfiles?

        You'll have to have a program or script that runs webalizer once
        for each logfile. Either that of concatenate the logs(e.g. for
        an entire month) and then run webalizer.

        > I have forgotten to webalize one daily file. How can I webalize this
        > manually after already webalizing the following daily logfiles?

        You can do it, but it's non-trivial. You have to reprocess all the
        log files starting from the first day of the month in which you
        missed the one daily logfile, and in addition you have to manually
        remove/tweak some of webalizer's files. It is simpler if you either:
        - process the logs for a month(whether individually or as one
        concatenated logfile) after the month ends, when you are sure
        that you have all the necessary files
        - have two configurations of webalizer(i.e. two .conf files with
        two different output directories) - one being your current
        config(which might occasionally miss a day's stats), and the
        other being the one you run after month-end, to build ongoing
        "complete" stats

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 5, 2005
          > How can I start webalizer to execute more than one (ca. 90) of such

          You can do this with a single command. You can find an example here
          (fix the paths to match your setup):

          http://www.stonesteps.ca/projects/webalizer/faq.asp?qid=q20040923-
          01&topic=webalizer

          It will work with any webalizer. Don't forget to turn on incremental
          processing (use -p on the command line).

          > I have forgotten to webalize one daily file. How can I webalize this

          You have to reprocess last month. Delete webalizer.current and run
          the webalizer again, starting with the first file of the month.

          > I get only "Warning: Truncating oversized referrer field")

          Long referrer fields will do this - it's just a warning. Locate the
          line in the log file and see what's this about. It may be just a long
          line or it may be a buffer overrun attempt.

          J.D.