Limit Webalizer to a spec subdirectory

  • Sean Moran
    Message 1 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
      I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in a
      virtual host.

      What is the most efficient way to configure webalizer to do this? I had
      orginally planned on using grep to create a new log file from the whole
      access_log for each subdirectory, but perhaps I could just use the
      Hide/Ignore/Include options in the .conf?

      Logically, I can think of doing a hide on everything, then just
      including files under the path /clients/client1

      ?

      Thanks for any help or examples...I am digging through the manual but
      thought I would use all sources.
    • Dave Patton [DCP]
      Message 2 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
        Sean Moran wrote:

        > I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in a
        > virtual host.

        We get daily access logs from our host. We then have three cron jobs
        that run webalizer(using Incremental mode) on each day's logfile.

        One job runs webalizer with a "full" .conf file, to produce the stats
        we use as site admins.

        The second one runs with a more limited .conf file, and uses the
        Geolizer patch for Webalizer in order to produce the pages with
        our "public" web stats:
        http://www.confluence.org/stats.php

        The third job runs webalizer with a .conf that is used to provide
        the admins with stats for specific files in two directories.
        That .conf file includes:
        1)
        IgnoreURL *
        so that we ignore all URLs except those specifically included
        2)
        IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file1.pdf
        IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file2.pdf
        IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file1.pdf
        IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file2.pdf
        etc. to specifically include the files for which we want stats.
        In our case there are a small number of files, so we use the
        full name, but wildcards could perhaps be used.
        3)
        GroupURL /topdir/dir1/* TOTAL: Directory 1
        GroupURL /topdir/dir2/* TOTAL: Directory 2
        We have these groupings so we get cumulative stats for each
        directory, so we can compare between them.

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
          Great! Thanks so much for the answer and your time...will give it a
          shot.

          ============================

          Sean Moran, CTO
          Imagination Interactive, Inc
          2502 W. Colorado Ave #201
          Colorado Springs, CO 80904

          On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:

          > Sean Moran wrote:
          >>
          >> I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in
          >> virtual host.
          >
          > We get daily access logs from our host. We then have three cron jobs
          > that run webalizer(using Incremental mode) on each day's logfile.
          >
          > One job runs webalizer with a "full" .conf file, to produce the stats
          > we use as site admins.
          >
          > The second one runs with a more limited .conf file, and uses the
          > Geolizer patch for Webalizer in order to produce the pages with
          > our "public" web stats:
          > http://www.confluence.org/stats.php
          >
          > The third job runs webalizer with a .conf that is used to provide
          > the admins with stats for specific files in two directories.
          > That .conf file includes:
          > 1)
          > IgnoreURL *
          > so that we ignore all URLs except those specifically included
          > 2)
          > IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file1.pdf
          > IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file2.pdf
          > IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file1.pdf
          > IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file2.pdf
          > etc. to specifically include the files for which we want stats.
          > In our case there are a small number of files, so we use the
          > full name, but wildcards could perhaps be used.
          > 3)
          > GroupURL /topdir/dir1/* TOTAL: Directory 1
          > GroupURL /topdir/dir2/* TOTAL: Directory 2
          > We have these groupings so we get cumulative stats for each
          > directory, so we can compare between them.
          >
          > --
          > Dave Patton
          > Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project
          > http://www.confluence.org/
          > My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Vasiliy Boulytchev
          Message 4 of 8 , Jan 11, 2005
            Sean,
            Great that you use all the resources, such as yahoo groups. I
            wish there was an IRC channel for us to kick on. Surprised that I am on
            webalizer list as well? :)
            Anyways, I don't think webalizer lets you separate usage stats,
            you have to separate out your logs... Please tell me if I am wrong.

            Vasiliy Boulytchev
            Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
            http://www.coinfotech.com