Cannot access reports

  • Tom
    Message 1 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
      I had webalizer up and running on my FC2 box but now something has gone
      haywire.
      When I try to connect to http://mydomain/usage/ I get an error:

      Access forbidden!
      You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either
      read-protected or not readable by the server.

      If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.

      Error 403

      I have googled and tried to find an answer but was unsuccessful.
      The permission on this folder are set to 755 and I even tried 777 but
      that did not make any difference.

      So where do I look now?

      Thanks,

    • Jason Purdy
      Message 2 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
        Tom wrote:
        > Access forbidden!
        > You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either
        > read-protected or not readable by the server.
        >
        > If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
        >
        > Error 403

        This error message typically means that your directory and/or files are
        not readable by the Web server to present to you. Logon to your server
        and check that the files exist and have the right priviledges.

        - Jason
      • Tom
        Message 3 of 8 , Dec 30, 2004
          I had checked and rechecked that, set permissions to 777 and that did
          not work.
          So just for grins, I made a new folder called stats and copied the
          files from usage and it now works.
          There is something blocking access to the usage folder, but I cannot
          find it.

          Oh well, I have webalizer working again.

          Thanks for your help.

          Tom

          > You don't have permission to access the requested object. It is either

          > read-protected or not readable by the server.
          >
          > If you think this is a server error, please contact the webmaster.
          >
          > Error 403

          This error message typically means that your directory and/or files are
          not readable by the Web server to present to you. Logon to your server
          and check that the files exist and have the right priviledges.

          - Jason

          Yahoo! Groups Links

        • jd_314159
          Message 4 of 8 , Dec 31, 2004
            Most likely the problem is that your virtual directory (it wouldn't
            have much to do with file permissions, except that the httpd user
            would have to be able to read files) is configured to give limited
            access to the stats (just as it should be). Check these settings in
            your configuration:

            http://httpd.apache.org/docs-2.0/howto/auth.html

            J.D.

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Tom" <duffer@u...> wrote:
            > I had checked and rechecked that, set permissions to 777 and that
            did
            > not work.
            > So just for grins, I made a new folder called stats and copied the
            > files from usage and it now works.
            > There is something blocking access to the usage folder, but I cannot
            > find it.
            >
            > Oh well, I have webalizer working again.
            >
            > Thanks for your help.
            >
            > Tom

            12/28/2004
          • Sean Moran
            Message 5 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
              I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in a
              virtual host.

              What is the most efficient way to configure webalizer to do this? I had
              orginally planned on using grep to create a new log file from the whole
              access_log for each subdirectory, but perhaps I could just use the
              Hide/Ignore/Include options in the .conf?

              Logically, I can think of doing a hide on everything, then just
              including files under the path /clients/client1

              ?

              Thanks for any help or examples...I am digging through the manual but
              thought I would use all sources.
            • Dave Patton [DCP]
              Message 6 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
                Sean Moran wrote:

                > I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in a
                > virtual host.

                We get daily access logs from our host. We then have three cron jobs
                that run webalizer(using Incremental mode) on each day's logfile.

                One job runs webalizer with a "full" .conf file, to produce the stats
                we use as site admins.

                The second one runs with a more limited .conf file, and uses the
                Geolizer patch for Webalizer in order to produce the pages with
                our "public" web stats:
                http://www.confluence.org/stats.php

                The third job runs webalizer with a .conf that is used to provide
                the admins with stats for specific files in two directories.
                That .conf file includes:
                1)
                IgnoreURL *
                so that we ignore all URLs except those specifically included
                2)
                IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file1.pdf
                IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file2.pdf
                IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file1.pdf
                IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file2.pdf
                etc. to specifically include the files for which we want stats.
                In our case there are a small number of files, so we use the
                full name, but wildcards could perhaps be used.
                3)
                GroupURL /topdir/dir1/* TOTAL: Directory 1
                GroupURL /topdir/dir2/* TOTAL: Directory 2
                We have these groupings so we get cumulative stats for each
                directory, so we can compare between them.

                --
                Dave Patton
                http://www.confluence.org/
                Message 7 of 8 , Jan 4, 2005
                  Great! Thanks so much for the answer and your time...will give it a
                  shot.

                  ============================

                  Sean Moran, CTO
                  Imagination Interactive, Inc
                  2502 W. Colorado Ave #201
                  Colorado Springs, CO 80904

                  On Jan 4, 2005, at 3:49 PM, Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:

                  > Sean Moran wrote:
                  >>
                  >> I am looking to get specific hit/bandwidth info for a subdirectory in
                  >> virtual host.
                  >
                  > We get daily access logs from our host. We then have three cron jobs
                  > that run webalizer(using Incremental mode) on each day's logfile.
                  >
                  > One job runs webalizer with a "full" .conf file, to produce the stats
                  > we use as site admins.
                  >
                  > The second one runs with a more limited .conf file, and uses the
                  > Geolizer patch for Webalizer in order to produce the pages with
                  > our "public" web stats:
                  > http://www.confluence.org/stats.php
                  >
                  > The third job runs webalizer with a .conf that is used to provide
                  > the admins with stats for specific files in two directories.
                  > That .conf file includes:
                  > 1)
                  > IgnoreURL *
                  > so that we ignore all URLs except those specifically included
                  > 2)
                  > IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file1.pdf
                  > IncludeURL /topdir/dir1/file2.pdf
                  > IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file1.pdf
                  > IncludeURL /topdir/dir2/file2.pdf
                  > etc. to specifically include the files for which we want stats.
                  > In our case there are a small number of files, so we use the
                  > full name, but wildcards could perhaps be used.
                  > 3)
                  > GroupURL /topdir/dir1/* TOTAL: Directory 1
                  > GroupURL /topdir/dir2/* TOTAL: Directory 2
                  > We have these groupings so we get cumulative stats for each
                  > directory, so we can compare between them.
                  >
                  > --
                  > Dave Patton
                  > Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project
                  > http://www.confluence.org/
                  > My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/

                  > Yahoo! Groups Links

                • Vasiliy Boulytchev
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jan 11, 2005
                    Sean,
                    Great that you use all the resources, such as yahoo groups. I
                    wish there was an IRC channel for us to kick on. Surprised that I am on
                    webalizer list as well? :)
                    Anyways, I don't think webalizer lets you separate usage stats,
                    you have to separate out your logs... Please tell me if I am wrong.

                    Vasiliy Boulytchev
                    Colorado Information Technologies, Inc.
                    http://www.coinfotech.com