User Agents, hierarchical?

  • Walter Ian Kaye
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2004
      Can User Agents be listed hierarchically, such that all versions of a
      particular browser are grouped, with a group total?

      Example:

      Lynx 35
      Lynx/2.8.4 27
      Lynx/2.8.5dev16 8

      thanks,
      -Walter
      Walter Ian Kaye, San Francisco, CA | Macintosh Scripter, Web Developer,
      http://www.natural-innovations.com/ | Inventor, Guitarist, Songwriter,
      | Actor, and Whole Grain Baker
      (()) ascii ribbon campaign:
      XX just say no to HTML/RTF in email and usenet
      //\\ and no to Web sites that do not fully support Lynx
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 12, 2004
        --- Walter Ian Kaye <yahoo@...>
        wrote:

        > Can User Agents be listed hierarchically, such that
        > all versions of a
        > particular browser are grouped, with a group total?
        >
        > Example:
        >
        > Lynx 35
        > Lynx/2.8.4 27
        > Lynx/2.8.5dev16 8

        No, you can't do this. You must group either by
        version or by totals. This is because webalizer will
        stop at the first match when parsing the GroupAgent
        list in webalizer.conf

        So, if in webalizer.conf you have this:

        GroupAgent Lynx Lynx
        GroupAgent Lynx/2.8.4 Lynx/2.8.4
        GroupAgent Lynx/2.8.5dev16 Lynx/2.8.5dev16

        you will only get the "Lynx" totals, because Agent
        names containing "Lynx" will match the first line and
        never reach the second line. So you would *never* see
        a total for "Lynx/2.8.4".

        If you do this instead:

        GroupAgent Lynx/2.8.4 Lynx/2.8.4
        GroupAgent Lynx/2.8.5dev16 Lynx/2.8.5dev16
        GroupAgent Lynx Lynx

        The "Lynx" total will count all Agents that match
        "Lynx" except for those matching "Lynx/2.8.4" and
        "Lynx/2.8.5dev16", which have already matched the
        first and second lines.

        You can solve this by grouping by version, then
        setting "AllAgents yes", and then parsing the
        agents_xxxxxxxx.html files to add all lines containing
        "Lynx" (probably not what you want to do, but I can't
        think of nothing better, short of making two different
        webalizer.conf files and running the logs twice, one
        on each file).

        =====

        http://my.yahoo.com