[webalizer] Webalizer and Plesk

  • ftnx@ksbase.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
      Monday December 06 2004 09:38, Hannah Andersen wrote to All:

      POST ONLY PLAIN TEXT TO MAILING LISTS!

      HA> 3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files
      HA> and
      HA> oversized log files.

      Webalizer complains about 'oversized log entries'. That is an obvious
      bug.

      KS

      KARICO Business Services
      Toronto, ON Canada
      http://www.karico.ca
      ---
    • Dave Patton [DCP]
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
        ftnx@... wrote:

        > Monday December 06 2004 09:38, Hannah Andersen wrote to All:
        >
        > POST ONLY PLAIN TEXT TO MAILING LISTS!

        You shouldn't SHOUT at people ;-)

        Politely pointing out how things could be done better
        is a good idea.

        You should configure your email program to add the
        standard "Re: " to the subject line when you reply.

        Hannah's original posting in this thread was sent with
        a content type header of:
        and contained both "text/plain" and "text/html" sections.

        While the HTML is unnecessary, competent email programs
        will display only the plain text, if you configure them
        to do so. Hannah - you can configure Outlook Express
        so it sends only plain-text emails(at least to this list).

        > HA> 3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files
        > HA> and
        > HA> oversized log files.
        >
        > Webalizer complains about 'oversized log entries'. That is an obvious
        > bug.

        From the Webalizer FAQ:
        13. I get Warning: Truncating oversized xxx or String exceeds
        storage size warnings! Why?
        Internally, The Webalizer has a fixed maximum size for various parts
        of the log record. If a particular field is longer than will fit, you
        will see these warnings. The most common is that for the request field
        on sites that have a lot of CGI interaction. They can be safely ignored.
        If you don't want to see warnings or errors, you can use the ReallyQuiet
        option (-Q command line switch) to supress them.

        So, it's not a 'bug', it's 'functions as designed' :-)

        Because the source code for Webalizer is available, it
        can be patched to deal with these sorts of issues. For example:
        http://www.kurtwerks.com/software/webalizer.shtml

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
          Tuesday December 07 2004 09:17, Dave Patton [DCP] wrote to All:

          DD> You should configure your email program to add the
          DD> standard "Re: " to the subject line when you reply.

          It's called "Re: junk", which properly configured email clients remove.

          DD> Internally, The Webalizer has a fixed maximum size for various
          DD> parts
          DD> of the log record. If a particular field is longer than will fit,
          DD> you

          Then it is a programming error.

          KS

          KARICO Business Services
          Toronto, ON Canada
          http://www.karico.ca
          ---
        • Hannah Andersen
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
            Hello Everyone,

            Ok here is the email agian in plain text formating. The last mail was merely
            typed and sent thus it mail program used its rich text option.

            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
              Hannah Andersen wrote:
              > Though it seems that no one wants to touch the Plesk =) I can appreciate
              > that too. On our original server we had a command we entered into Cron that
              > ran every night and generated the webstats report. Something like
              > "/path/to/webalizer -Cqt ". I cannot seem to find this or find the document
              > that contains what the actual characters commands are to generate certain
              > sections of the report. Can someone provide me with this file?

              From the Webalizer homepage:
              http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/
              follow the link to the README file(supplied with all distributions):
              ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/README

              --
              Dave Patton
              http://www.confluence.org/
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
                Thanks ... but I have tried that and I cannot access the ReadMe. Could
                someone email it to me or provide a different link?

                > Though it seems that no one wants to touch the Plesk =) I can appreciate
                > that too. On our original server we had a command we entered into Cron
                > that
                > ran every night and generated the webstats report. Something like
                > "/path/to/webalizer -Cqt ". I cannot seem to find this or find the
                > document
                > that contains what the actual characters commands are to generate certain
                > sections of the report. Can someone provide me with this file?

                From the Webalizer homepage:

                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                  --- Hannah Andersen <hannah@...> wrote:

                  > Thanks ... but I have tried that and I cannot access
                  > the ReadMe. Could
                  > someone email it to me or provide a different link?

                  Here you have.

                  =====

                  http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo