Webalizer and Plesk

  • Hannah Andersen
    Message 1 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
      Hello Everyone,

      We have a dedicated server with ServerBeach that is running Plesk and Webalizer. We have had nothing but trouble with this combination from the start and ServerBeach is no help what so ever.

      Server: RedHat 7.3 Plesk 5

      1. Webalizer stopped working. Then ServerBeach suggested that we remove the 00webalizer from the cron.daily and run Webalizer via a cronjob. This sort of works, but now Plesk is not being updated with the stats.

      2. Webalizer is giving stats for Jan. - July for a Domain when the domain did not go up until Aug.

      3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files and oversized log files.

      Any suggestions, questions, and assistance all-a-round would be greatly appreciated.

      Sincerely,

    • jd_314159
      Message 2 of 9 , Dec 6, 2004
        What happens after Webalizer reports the error? Does it crash?

        Try feeding Webalizer with log files one by one (chronologically) -
        if it's just one file that's giving you trouble, you may be able to
        skip it.

        J.D.

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Hannah Andersen" <hannah@i...>

      • ftnx@ksbase.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
          Monday December 06 2004 09:38, Hannah Andersen wrote to All:

          POST ONLY PLAIN TEXT TO MAILING LISTS!

          HA> 3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files
          HA> and
          HA> oversized log files.

          Webalizer complains about 'oversized log entries'. That is an obvious
          bug.

          KS

          KARICO Business Services
          Toronto, ON Canada
          http://www.karico.ca
          ---
        • Dave Patton [DCP]
          Message 4 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
            ftnx@... wrote:

            > Monday December 06 2004 09:38, Hannah Andersen wrote to All:
            >
            > POST ONLY PLAIN TEXT TO MAILING LISTS!

            You shouldn't SHOUT at people ;-)

            Politely pointing out how things could be done better
            is a good idea.

            You should configure your email program to add the
            standard "Re: " to the subject line when you reply.

            Hannah's original posting in this thread was sent with
            a content type header of:
            and contained both "text/plain" and "text/html" sections.

            While the HTML is unnecessary, competent email programs
            will display only the plain text, if you configure them
            to do so. Hannah - you can configure Outlook Express
            so it sends only plain-text emails(at least to this list).

            > HA> 3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files
            > HA> and
            > HA> oversized log files.
            >
            > Webalizer complains about 'oversized log entries'. That is an obvious
            > bug.

            From the Webalizer FAQ:
            13. I get Warning: Truncating oversized xxx or String exceeds
            storage size warnings! Why?
            Internally, The Webalizer has a fixed maximum size for various parts
            of the log record. If a particular field is longer than will fit, you
            will see these warnings. The most common is that for the request field
            on sites that have a lot of CGI interaction. They can be safely ignored.
            If you don't want to see warnings or errors, you can use the ReallyQuiet
            option (-Q command line switch) to supress them.

            So, it's not a 'bug', it's 'functions as designed' :-)

            Because the source code for Webalizer is available, it
            can be patched to deal with these sorts of issues. For example:
            http://www.kurtwerks.com/software/webalizer.shtml

            --
            Dave Patton
            http://www.confluence.org/
            Message 5 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
              Tuesday December 07 2004 09:17, Dave Patton [DCP] wrote to All:

              DD> You should configure your email program to add the
              DD> standard "Re: " to the subject line when you reply.

              It's called "Re: junk", which properly configured email clients remove.

              DD> Internally, The Webalizer has a fixed maximum size for various
              DD> parts
              DD> of the log record. If a particular field is longer than will fit,
              DD> you

              Then it is a programming error.

              KS

              KARICO Business Services
              Toronto, ON Canada
              http://www.karico.ca
              ---
            • Hannah Andersen
              Message 6 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
                Hello Everyone,

                Ok here is the email agian in plain text formating. The last mail was merely
                typed and sent thus it mail program used its rich text option.

                We have a dedicated server with ServerBeach that is running Plesk and
                Webalizer. We have had nothing but trouble with this combination from the
                start and ServerBeach is no help what so ever.

                Server: RedHat 7.3 Plesk 5

                1. Webalizer stopped working. Then ServerBeach suggested that we remove the
                00webalizer from the cron.daily and run Webalizer via a cronjob. This sort
                of works, but now Plesk is not being updated with the stats.

                2. Webalizer is giving stats for Jan. - July for a Domain when the domain
                did not go up until Aug.

                3. Webalizer seems to be complaining about truncation of log files and
                oversized log files.

                Any suggestions, questions, and assistance all-a-round would be greatly
                appreciated.

                ----- Original MSG End -----

                A few people actually touched on the #3 and even were kind enough to provide
                the text from the read me. Thanks for this.

                Though it seems that no one wants to touch the Plesk =) I can appreciate
                that too. On our original server we had a command we entered into Cron that
                ran every night and generated the webstats report. Something like
                "/path/to/webalizer -Cqt ". I cannot seem to find this or find the document
                that contains what the actual characters commands are to generate certain
                sections of the report. Can someone provide me with this file?

                Thanks,
              • Dave Patton [DCP]
                Message 7 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
                  Hannah Andersen wrote:
                  > Though it seems that no one wants to touch the Plesk =) I can appreciate
                  > that too. On our original server we had a command we entered into Cron that
                  > ran every night and generated the webstats report. Something like
                  > "/path/to/webalizer -Cqt ". I cannot seem to find this or find the document
                  > that contains what the actual characters commands are to generate certain
                  > sections of the report. Can someone provide me with this file?

                  From the Webalizer homepage:
                  http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/
                  follow the link to the README file(supplied with all distributions):
                  ftp://ftp.mrunix.net/pub/webalizer/README

                  --
                  Dave Patton
                  http://www.confluence.org/
                  Message 8 of 9 , Dec 7, 2004
                    Thanks ... but I have tried that and I cannot access the ReadMe. Could
                    someone email it to me or provide a different link?

                    > Though it seems that no one wants to touch the Plesk =) I can appreciate
                    > that too. On our original server we had a command we entered into Cron
                    > that
                    > ran every night and generated the webstats report. Something like
                    > "/path/to/webalizer -Cqt ". I cannot seem to find this or find the
                    > document
                    > that contains what the actual characters commands are to generate certain
                    > sections of the report. Can someone provide me with this file?

                    From the Webalizer homepage:

                    Message 9 of 9 , Dec 8, 2004
                      --- Hannah Andersen <hannah@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks ... but I have tried that and I cannot access
                      > the ReadMe. Could
                      > someone email it to me or provide a different link?

                      Here you have.

                      =====

                      http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo