Re: Configuring to work with logrotate

  • ricurtis2003
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004

      > > Hi all,
      > > I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
      > > conjunction with logrotate.
      >
      > Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
      > Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
      > process the rotated log. Nothing else as far as daily processing
      > needs to change. There is an example in the README file.
      >
      > You can also expand the script to rotate the log, process it with
      > the webalizer, compress it via gzip or similar, move it out of the
      > way to an archive directory and then scan the archive directory to
      > see if any old archived logs need to be removed to save disk space.

      I was looking into logrotate as it is a prebuilt app specifically
      for log rotation. I dont see the point in reinventing the wheel. I
      am sure that logrotate would be better than any script I can come up
      with anyway.

      Am I missing something here ?

      Anyway, thanks for the replies.... I now know what I need to do.

      Thanks all
      Rich