Re: [webalizer] Configuring to work with logrotate

  • Dave Patton [DCP]
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
      Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

      >>Hi all,
      >> I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
      >>conjunction with logrotate.
      >

      > Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
      > Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
      > process the rotated log.

      Note that what really matters is the logfile content,
      not so much when the 'log rotation' is done. In other
      words, what you want is all of one month's logfile records
      in one file, based on the timestamps in the logfile records.
      That may not happen just because you 'run a script at midnight'.

      --
      Dave Patton
      http://www.confluence.org/
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004

        > > Hi all,
        > > I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
        > > conjunction with logrotate.
        >
        > Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
        > Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
        > process the rotated log. Nothing else as far as daily processing
        > needs to change. There is an example in the README file.
        >
        > You can also expand the script to rotate the log, process it with
        > the webalizer, compress it via gzip or similar, move it out of the
        > way to an archive directory and then scan the archive directory to
        > see if any old archived logs need to be removed to save disk space.

        I was looking into logrotate as it is a prebuilt app specifically
        for log rotation. I dont see the point in reinventing the wheel. I
        am sure that logrotate would be better than any script I can come up
        with anyway.

        Am I missing something here ?

        Anyway, thanks for the replies.... I now know what I need to do.

        Thanks all
        Rich