Re: [webalizer] Configuring to work with logrotate

  • Dave Patton [DCP]
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
      ricurtis2003 wrote:

      > Hi all,
      > I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
      > conjunction with logrotate.
      >
      > At present, I dont use logrotate on the web servers logs (It is
      > Redhat 9 with apache2). The current crontab entry is:
      > 00 4 * * * /usr/local/bin/webalizer -c /home/site078/logs/078.conf
      >
      > which correctly rebuilds the webalizer stats nightly at 4.00am
      >
      > I now have to implement logrotate to rotate stats monthly.
      > What is the best way to work with webalizer ?
      > Should I get it to run monthly (*after* the logrotate) and analyse
      > the previous months logs ? I understand that this way the stats for
      > the month are only available at the end of the month.

      The host for the confluence.org website provides daily
      weblogs, with a maximum retention of 7 days. There have been
      occasional problems where one, or a series, of logs have
      been missing, so when the cron job runs, it shows zero
      stats for those days, or else a very low number, if the
      log rotation doesn't happen such that the log entries
      start/stop exactly at midnight.

      This causes problems if you want complete stats for the
      month, because manually running webalizer on the missing
      logs after they are restored doesn't work, because the
      incremental processing ignores them, because it already
      has stats for those days(even though they are zero).
      Furthermore, to anticipate such problems, you have to
      store the daily logs for the entire month, in case there
      is a problem, because you then, at month's end, have to
      process all the daily logs for the month, one at a time,
      in order, after you manually delete some of the existing
      webalizer files, and edit others.

      We can't change our setup, but if we could, I'd ask for
      a monthly log, and I'd setup a script to process it on
      the first of the next month.

      --
      Dave Patton
      http://www.confluence.org/
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
        > Hi all,
        > I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
        > conjunction with logrotate.

        Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
        Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
        process the rotated log. Nothing else as far as daily processing
        needs to change. There is an example in the README file.

        You can also expand the script to rotate the log, process it with
        the webalizer, compress it via gzip or similar, move it out of the
        way to an archive directory and then scan the archive directory to
        see if any old archived logs need to be removed to save disk space.

      • Dave Patton [DCP]
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 9, 2004
          Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

          >>Hi all,
          >> I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
          >>conjunction with logrotate.
          >

          > Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
          > Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
          > process the rotated log.

          Note that what really matters is the logfile content,
          not so much when the 'log rotation' is done. In other
          words, what you want is all of one month's logfile records
          in one file, based on the timestamps in the logfile records.
          That may not happen just because you 'run a script at midnight'.

          --
          Dave Patton
          http://www.confluence.org/
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 10, 2004

            > > Hi all,
            > > I am a bit confused as to the best way to run webalizer in
            > > conjunction with logrotate.
            >
            > Why use logrotate if you don't need to?!? :)
            > Just setup a monthly script to rotate the log at midnight (EOM) and
            > process the rotated log. Nothing else as far as daily processing
            > needs to change. There is an example in the README file.
            >
            > You can also expand the script to rotate the log, process it with
            > the webalizer, compress it via gzip or similar, move it out of the
            > way to an archive directory and then scan the archive directory to
            > see if any old archived logs need to be removed to save disk space.

            I was looking into logrotate as it is a prebuilt app specifically
            for log rotation. I dont see the point in reinventing the wheel. I
            am sure that logrotate would be better than any script I can come up
            with anyway.

            Am I missing something here ?

            Anyway, thanks for the replies.... I now know what I need to do.

            Thanks all
            Rich