Re: [webalizer] Re: Webcrawlers and Yahoo Groups search

    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 9, 2004
      > > To turn this on for a day (say) would save a lot
      > of cutting and
      > > pasting etc.
      >
      > for a day or so? i couldn't say... i wouldn't unless
      > i had a good idea when the spiders would be
      > around... as an
      > example, google is a regular on my site but M$'s new
      > search engine spider has been a real nusiance since
      > going online as
      > it walks my site most every day...

      Silly of me... There is a very safe way to do it. You
      can protect the directory with a password, then
      publish the password in this list. This will stop
      crawlers, bots, etc.

      You can copy&paste the text below in httpd.conf,
      inside the appropiate "Directory" container, or in a
      .htaccess file in the directory you want to protect.
      If you use a .htaccess file then you need to have an
      AllowOverride line in the apropiate "Directory"
      container in httpd.conf, or apache will refuse to obey
      the .htaccess instructions. If you didn't add any
      directory, that would be between these two lines (they
      are very near to each other):
      <Directory />
      </Directory>

      this is the line to add to httpd.conf:

      AllowOverride AuthConfig Limit

      TEXT TO COPY&PASTE
      #*******************************

      AuthType Basic
      AuthName "Usage page"
      AuthUserFile /tmp/.htpasswd_usage
      require user LOGIN

      # To generate a new password execute:
      # htapasswd -c /tmp/.htpasswd_usage LOGIN
      # the type the password you want to use.

      =====

      http://mail.yahoo.com