Re: Get started with Country Chart? (revised)

  • hstextiles
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
      Hi,

      To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
      turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
      hostnames instead of IP addresses?

      With Regards,
      Sweee
    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
        hstextiles wrote:

        > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
        > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
        > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

        this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
        do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
        domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

        what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
        accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
        up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

        previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
        webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
          Hi,

          > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
          reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
          > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
          IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
          > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
          connections?
          Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
          that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

          My Logfile shows this:
          66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
          +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
          " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

          It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
          configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
          server?

          > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
          are (supposedly) located...

          Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
          me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

          > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
          saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
          > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

          I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
          to my web server.

          > _\/
          > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
          > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
          > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
          > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
          > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
          alltel.net
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
            hstextiles wrote:

            >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
            >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
            >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
            >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
            >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
            >> connections?
            > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
            > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

            no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

            > My Logfile shows this:
            > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
            > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
            > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
            >
            > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
            > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
            > server?

            somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
            software does it...

            FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
            machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

            >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
            >> are (supposedly) located...
            >
            > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
            > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

            where as in country or were as in domain name?

            >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
            >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
            >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
            >

            > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
            > to my web server.

            and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
            server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA