Re: [webalizer] Re: Get started with Country Chart? (revised)

  • Dave Patton [DCP]
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
      At 09:18 PM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

      >Hi All,
      >
      >Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
      >rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
      >know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
      >i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
      >is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
      >solved by the experts.

      Nothing beats learning things on your own.
      Read the Webalizer documentation, and setup your
      own copy, and get it working. Once you have
      done that, you'll probably know enough to either
      get your contry stats working, or else be able to
      come back to this list with specific questions.

      >As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
      >misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
      >2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
      >will work.

      Those are just file extensions, and typically mean
      the file(s) are compressed. There are various file
      extensions for compressed files(e.g. .zip, .rar, .arc,
      .gz, .bz2, etc), just like there are various file
      extensions for document files(e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, etc).

      >Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
      >webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
      >codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
      >opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
      >to open the ".conf" extension?

      webalizer.conf is a plain text file, so any decent
      text editor will work. If it's "messed up", then
      the likely cause is that it may have Unix end-of-line
      characters rather than Windows end-of-line character pairs.

      >Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
      >statistic?

      The "binary" is just a program. It doesn't do anything
      until you run it, and then it does it's actions based
      on how you have configured your webalizer.conf file.

      > Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
      >rest be affected too?

      Geolizer does more that just create the country chart,
      and if you, for example, want country stats for all
      of October, you have to re-process all your October
      log entries.

      >Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
      >the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
      >how to do a SSH remote login?

      Lots of people do.

      > or is there a need to login remotely?

      No. Edit your webalizer.conf file locally. Transfer
      it(e.g. FTP) to the webhost. Run Webalizer.

      --
      Dave Patton
      http://www.confluence.org/
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

        To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
        turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
        hostnames instead of IP addresses?

        With Regards,
        Sweee
      • waldo kitty
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
          hstextiles wrote:

          > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
          > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
          > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

          this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
          do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
          domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

          what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
          accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
          up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

          previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
          webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

          --
          _\/
          (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

            > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
            reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
            > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
            IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
            > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
            connections?
            Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
            that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

            My Logfile shows this:
            66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
            +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
            " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

            It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
            configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
            server?

            > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
            are (supposedly) located...

            Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
            me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

            > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
            saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
            > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

            I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
            to my web server.

            > _\/
            > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
            > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
            > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
            > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
            alltel.net
          • waldo kitty
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
              hstextiles wrote:

              >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
              >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
              >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
              >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
              >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
              >> connections?
              > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
              > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

              no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

              > My Logfile shows this:
              > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
              > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
              > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
              >
              > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
              > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
              > server?

              somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
              software does it...

              FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
              machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

              >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
              >> are (supposedly) located...
              >
              > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
              > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

              where as in country or were as in domain name?

              >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
              >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
              >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
              >

              > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
              > to my web server.

              and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
              server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

              --
              _\/
              (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA