Re: Get started with Country Chart? (revised)

  • hstextiles
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
      Hi All,

      Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
      rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
      know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
      i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
      is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
      solved by the experts.

      As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
      misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
      2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
      will work.

      Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
      webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
      codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
      opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
      to open the ".conf" extension?

      Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
      statistic? Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
      rest be affected too?

      Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
      the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
      how to do a SSH remote login? or is there a need to login remotely?

      Ps. If my questions again, sounded illogical or silly, pardon me.
      Thank you.

      With Regards,
      Swee
    • Dave Patton [DCP]
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
        At 09:18 PM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

        >Hi All,
        >
        >Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
        >rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
        >know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
        >i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
        >is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
        >solved by the experts.

        Nothing beats learning things on your own.
        Read the Webalizer documentation, and setup your
        own copy, and get it working. Once you have
        done that, you'll probably know enough to either
        get your contry stats working, or else be able to
        come back to this list with specific questions.

        >As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
        >misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
        >2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
        >will work.

        Those are just file extensions, and typically mean
        the file(s) are compressed. There are various file
        extensions for compressed files(e.g. .zip, .rar, .arc,
        .gz, .bz2, etc), just like there are various file
        extensions for document files(e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, etc).

        >Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
        >webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
        >codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
        >opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
        >to open the ".conf" extension?

        webalizer.conf is a plain text file, so any decent
        text editor will work. If it's "messed up", then
        the likely cause is that it may have Unix end-of-line
        characters rather than Windows end-of-line character pairs.

        >Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
        >statistic?

        The "binary" is just a program. It doesn't do anything
        until you run it, and then it does it's actions based
        on how you have configured your webalizer.conf file.

        > Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
        >rest be affected too?

        Geolizer does more that just create the country chart,
        and if you, for example, want country stats for all
        of October, you have to re-process all your October
        log entries.

        >Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
        >the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
        >how to do a SSH remote login?

        Lots of people do.

        > or is there a need to login remotely?

        No. Edit your webalizer.conf file locally. Transfer
        it(e.g. FTP) to the webhost. Run Webalizer.

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

          To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
          turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
          hostnames instead of IP addresses?

          With Regards,
          Sweee
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
            hstextiles wrote:

            > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
            > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
            > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

            this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
            do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
            domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

            what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
            accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
            up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

            previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
            webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

              > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
              reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
              > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
              IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
              > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
              connections?
              Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
              that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

              My Logfile shows this:
              66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
              +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
              " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

              It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
              configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
              server?

              > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
              are (supposedly) located...

              Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
              me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

              > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
              saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
              > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

              I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
              to my web server.

              > _\/
              > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
              > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
              > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
              > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
              > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
              alltel.net
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
                hstextiles wrote:

                >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                >> connections?
                > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

                > My Logfile shows this:
                > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
                >
                > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                > server?

                somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
                software does it...

                FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
                machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

                >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                >> are (supposedly) located...
                >
                > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                where as in country or were as in domain name?

                >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
                >

                > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                > to my web server.

                and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
                server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

                --
                _\/
                (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA