Re: [webalizer] Re: Get started with Country Chart? Dave Patton [DCP]

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
      hstextiles wrote:

      > I would like to add on:
      >
      > There are many types of patches:
      >
      > patch to Webalizer source:
      > .bz2 [27.0 Kb]
      > .gz [29.3 Kb]
      > Linux static binary:
      > .bz2 [727.2 Kb]
      > .gz [698.4 Kb]
      > Win32 static binary:
      > .rar [486.0 Kb]
      > .zip [546.5 Kb]

      uhhh... those are not types of patches... they are archive formats... each one contains the same patch for that flavor...

      > Which is the one i should go for? Linux is out because i'm using
      > windows. Please guide. Thanks.

      it doesn't matter... one of those listed for windows... they are the same... you just need to be able to open one of
      those formats... (hint: winrar or winzip)

      /me shakes head in disbelief

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
        At 02:07 AM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I have tried downloading the .gz webalizer source patch but it
        >prompted that it is illegal thus i stop immediately.

        OK, I don't want to sound rude here, but, I don't think you
        know enough about computers to be doing this task on your own.
        Can you get someone local, who knows computers, to help you?

        > My aim here is
        >to configure the the webalizer for my countries stats. Then i also
        >found out this information but i do not know how i can go about
        >doing it. Below is the instruction i found from my webalizer but i
        >could not realy start a telnet. The telnet i started was from Start
        >Menu/run and i type "telnet" but it doesn't work when i try
        >typing "telnet hst.com". Why is it so?

        If you don't know how to edit your own webalizer.conf file,
        there is no way you will know how to download, install, and
        compile a sourcecode patch.

        You said you are using Windows, so download the Geolizer
        Win32 binary, in .zip format, unzip it(e.g. using WinZip,
        PKZip, etc), and use it instead of whatever copy of Webalizer
        you already have. Make sure to read all the documentation.
        The "Geolizer patch", in static binary form, is a 'full install'
        of Webalizer, with the Geolizer changes already applied,
        and the webalizer.conf file is setup to generate a country chart.

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi All,

          Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
          rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
          know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
          i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
          is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
          solved by the experts.

          As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
          misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
          2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
          will work.

          Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
          webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
          codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
          opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
          to open the ".conf" extension?

          Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
          statistic? Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
          rest be affected too?

          Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
          the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
          how to do a SSH remote login? or is there a need to login remotely?

          Ps. If my questions again, sounded illogical or silly, pardon me.
          Thank you.

          With Regards,
          Swee
        • Dave Patton [DCP]
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
            At 09:18 PM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

            >Hi All,
            >
            >Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
            >rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
            >know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
            >i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
            >is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
            >solved by the experts.

            Nothing beats learning things on your own.
            Read the Webalizer documentation, and setup your
            own copy, and get it working. Once you have
            done that, you'll probably know enough to either
            get your contry stats working, or else be able to
            come back to this list with specific questions.

            >As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
            >misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
            >2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
            >will work.

            Those are just file extensions, and typically mean
            the file(s) are compressed. There are various file
            extensions for compressed files(e.g. .zip, .rar, .arc,
            .gz, .bz2, etc), just like there are various file
            extensions for document files(e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, etc).

            >Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
            >webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
            >codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
            >opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
            >to open the ".conf" extension?

            webalizer.conf is a plain text file, so any decent
            text editor will work. If it's "messed up", then
            the likely cause is that it may have Unix end-of-line
            characters rather than Windows end-of-line character pairs.

            >Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
            >statistic?

            The "binary" is just a program. It doesn't do anything
            until you run it, and then it does it's actions based
            on how you have configured your webalizer.conf file.

            > Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
            >rest be affected too?

            Geolizer does more that just create the country chart,
            and if you, for example, want country stats for all
            of October, you have to re-process all your October
            log entries.

            >Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
            >the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
            >how to do a SSH remote login?

            Lots of people do.

            > or is there a need to login remotely?

            No. Edit your webalizer.conf file locally. Transfer
            it(e.g. FTP) to the webhost. Run Webalizer.

            --
            Dave Patton
            http://www.confluence.org/
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

              To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
              turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
              hostnames instead of IP addresses?

              With Regards,
              Sweee
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
                hstextiles wrote:

                > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
                > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
                > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

                this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

                what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
                accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
                up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

                previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                --
                _\/
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

                  > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                  reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                  > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                  IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                  > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                  connections?
                  Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                  that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                  My Logfile shows this:
                  66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                  +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                  " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

                  It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                  configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                  server?

                  > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                  are (supposedly) located...

                  Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                  me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                  > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                  saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                  > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                  I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                  to my web server.

                  > _\/
                  > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                  > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
                  > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
                  alltel.net
                • waldo kitty
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
                    hstextiles wrote:

                    >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                    >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                    >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                    >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                    >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                    >> connections?
                    > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                    > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                    no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

                    > My Logfile shows this:
                    > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                    > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                    > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
                    >
                    > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                    > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                    > server?

                    somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
                    software does it...

                    FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
                    machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

                    >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                    >> are (supposedly) located...
                    >
                    > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                    > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                    where as in country or were as in domain name?

                    >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                    >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                    >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
                    >

                    > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                    > to my web server.

                    and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
                    server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

                    --
                    _\/
                    (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA