Re: Get started with Country Chart? Dave Patton [DCP]

  • hstextiles
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hi Dave,

      I was looking at the sample of the description and it was what i
      want but i dont know what is this for? I am using webalizer and i am
      only left with countries chart to be done. And thats only one. The
      patched that u have you given me is it something i could just add on
      and what can i do with it? pardon me for asking those silly
      questions but i'm kind of confused. PLease help. Thanks alot..

      Sincerely,
      Hstextiles

      > Use the Geolizer patched version:
      > http://sysd.org/proj/log.php#glzr
      > along with the latest GeoIP Free Country database:
      > http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country
      >

      > --
      > Dave Patton
      > Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project
      > http://www.confluence.org/
      > My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
    • hstextiles
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
        I would like to add on:

        There are many types of patches:

        patch to Webalizer source:
        .bz2 [27.0 Kb]
        .gz [29.3 Kb]
        Linux static binary:
        .bz2 [727.2 Kb]
        .gz [698.4 Kb]
        Win32 static binary:
        .rar [486.0 Kb]
        .zip [546.5 Kb]

        Which is the one i should go for? Linux is out because i'm using
        windows. Please guide. Thanks.

        With Regards,
        Sweee
      • hstextiles
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
          Hi all,

          I have tried downloading the .gz webalizer source patch but it
          prompted that it is illegal thus i stop immediately. My aim here is
          to configure the the webalizer for my countries stats. Then i also
          found out this information but i do not know how i can go about
          doing it. Below is the instruction i found from my webalizer but i
          could not realy start a telnet. The telnet i started was from Start
          Menu/run and i type "telnet" but it doesn't work when i try
          typing "telnet hst.com". Why is it so?

          ____________________Instructions________________________________
          To change the configuration information:

          Connect to your site using the Telnet or SSH remote login service.

          Important: To use Telnet or SSH, your service provider must enable
          Telnet or SSH remote login services for your site. SSH is
          recommended as a secure remote login service.

          If you are using the SSH service, type the following at the command
          line prompt.

          ssh <username@sitename>

          For example, if you have the user name, myname, for the site,
          mysite.com, then type, ssh myname@...

          If you are using Telnet, type the following:

          telnet mysite.com

          Enter your user name and password, when prompted.

          Browse to the /etc/webalizer directory, and locate the Webalizer
          configuration file, webalizer.conf.

          To locate the configuration file for the Web server, type the
          following:

          cd /etc/webalizer/Web

          ls

          To locate the configuration file for the FTP server, type the
          following:

          cd /etc/webalizer/ftp

          ls

          You will find the webalizer.conf listed.

          Open the configuration file by using the vi text editor.

          vi webalizer.conf

          The configuration file opens. Each option is preceded by a detailed
          description of the option.

          Note: When you modify the configuration file, do not change the
          default output directory, outputdir (where the Webalizer reports
          will be located), otherwise the reports will not be visible from the
          Site Administrator control panel.

          Change the configuration options as needed.

          To save the changes and exit the configuration file, type the
          following command.

          :wq
        • waldo kitty
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
            hstextiles wrote:

            > I would like to add on:
            >
            > There are many types of patches:
            >
            > patch to Webalizer source:
            > .bz2 [27.0 Kb]
            > .gz [29.3 Kb]
            > Linux static binary:
            > .bz2 [727.2 Kb]
            > .gz [698.4 Kb]
            > Win32 static binary:
            > .rar [486.0 Kb]
            > .zip [546.5 Kb]

            uhhh... those are not types of patches... they are archive formats... each one contains the same patch for that flavor...

            > Which is the one i should go for? Linux is out because i'm using
            > windows. Please guide. Thanks.

            it doesn't matter... one of those listed for windows... they are the same... you just need to be able to open one of
            those formats... (hint: winrar or winzip)

            /me shakes head in disbelief

            --
            _\/
            (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
              At 02:07 AM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

              >Hi all,
              >
              >I have tried downloading the .gz webalizer source patch but it
              >prompted that it is illegal thus i stop immediately.

              OK, I don't want to sound rude here, but, I don't think you
              know enough about computers to be doing this task on your own.
              Can you get someone local, who knows computers, to help you?

              > My aim here is
              >to configure the the webalizer for my countries stats. Then i also
              >found out this information but i do not know how i can go about
              >doing it. Below is the instruction i found from my webalizer but i
              >could not realy start a telnet. The telnet i started was from Start
              >Menu/run and i type "telnet" but it doesn't work when i try
              >typing "telnet hst.com". Why is it so?

              If you don't know how to edit your own webalizer.conf file,
              there is no way you will know how to download, install, and
              compile a sourcecode patch.

              You said you are using Windows, so download the Geolizer
              Win32 binary, in .zip format, unzip it(e.g. using WinZip,
              PKZip, etc), and use it instead of whatever copy of Webalizer
              you already have. Make sure to read all the documentation.
              The "Geolizer patch", in static binary form, is a 'full install'
              of Webalizer, with the Geolizer changes already applied,
              and the webalizer.conf file is setup to generate a country chart.

              --
              Dave Patton
              http://www.confluence.org/
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                Hi All,

                Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
                rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
                know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
                i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
                is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
                solved by the experts.

                As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
                misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
                2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
                will work.

                Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
                webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
                codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
                opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
                to open the ".conf" extension?

                Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
                statistic? Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
                rest be affected too?

                Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
                the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
                how to do a SSH remote login? or is there a need to login remotely?

                Ps. If my questions again, sounded illogical or silly, pardon me.
                Thank you.

                With Regards,
                Swee
              • Dave Patton [DCP]
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                  At 09:18 PM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

                  >Hi All,
                  >
                  >Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
                  >rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
                  >know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
                  >i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
                  >is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
                  >solved by the experts.

                  Nothing beats learning things on your own.
                  Read the Webalizer documentation, and setup your
                  own copy, and get it working. Once you have
                  done that, you'll probably know enough to either
                  get your contry stats working, or else be able to
                  come back to this list with specific questions.

                  >As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
                  >misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
                  >2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
                  >will work.

                  Those are just file extensions, and typically mean
                  the file(s) are compressed. There are various file
                  extensions for compressed files(e.g. .zip, .rar, .arc,
                  .gz, .bz2, etc), just like there are various file
                  extensions for document files(e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, etc).

                  >Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
                  >webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
                  >codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
                  >opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
                  >to open the ".conf" extension?

                  webalizer.conf is a plain text file, so any decent
                  text editor will work. If it's "messed up", then
                  the likely cause is that it may have Unix end-of-line
                  characters rather than Windows end-of-line character pairs.

                  >Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
                  >statistic?

                  The "binary" is just a program. It doesn't do anything
                  until you run it, and then it does it's actions based
                  on how you have configured your webalizer.conf file.

                  > Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
                  >rest be affected too?

                  Geolizer does more that just create the country chart,
                  and if you, for example, want country stats for all
                  of October, you have to re-process all your October
                  log entries.

                  >Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
                  >the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
                  >how to do a SSH remote login?

                  Lots of people do.

                  > or is there a need to login remotely?

                  No. Edit your webalizer.conf file locally. Transfer
                  it(e.g. FTP) to the webhost. Run Webalizer.

                  --
                  Dave Patton
                  http://www.confluence.org/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

                    To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
                    turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
                    hostnames instead of IP addresses?

                    With Regards,
                    Sweee
                  • waldo kitty
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
                      hstextiles wrote:

                      > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
                      > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
                      > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

                      this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                      do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                      domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

                      what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
                      accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
                      up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

                      previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                      webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                      --
                      _\/
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

                        > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                        reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                        > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                        IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                        > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                        connections?
                        Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                        that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                        My Logfile shows this:
                        66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                        +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                        " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

                        It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                        configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                        server?

                        > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                        are (supposedly) located...

                        Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                        me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                        > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                        saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                        > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                        I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                        to my web server.

                        > _\/
                        > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                        > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
                        > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
                        > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
                        > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
                        alltel.net
                      • waldo kitty
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
                          hstextiles wrote:

                          >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                          >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                          >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                          >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                          >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                          >> connections?
                          > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                          > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                          no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

                          > My Logfile shows this:
                          > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                          > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                          > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
                          >
                          > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                          > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                          > server?

                          somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
                          software does it...

                          FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
                          machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

                          >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                          >> are (supposedly) located...
                          >
                          > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                          > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                          where as in country or were as in domain name?

                          >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                          >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                          >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
                          >

                          > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                          > to my web server.

                          and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
                          server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

                          --
                          _\/
                          (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA