Re: [webalizer] roadmap/timetable for Webalizer upgrades?

  • Dave Patton [DCP]
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
      At 07:25 AM 2004/10/11, waldo kitty wrote:

      >Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:

      > > but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.
      > >
      > > I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
      > > Web Druid:
      > > http://www.webdruid.org/
      > > WebalizerXML:
      > > http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
      > > and Hugo Haas' patch:
      > > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
      > > but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
      > > a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?
      >
      >a roadmap to where??

      To the future of Webalizer.

      > does webalizer not work properly for you?

      Depends on your definition of "work properly" :-)
      For example, the pages produced by Webalizer, while
      valid HTML, are using a fairly ancient Doctype,
      HTML 4.0 Transitional, and the webalizer.conf
      doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
      output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).
      Some of the above products/variations have addressed
      this issue, which is why I'm wondering if there are
      any planned Webalizer upgrades that will do the same.

      >i'm confused... why does everyone think that there has to be a new release
      >of something every so often for it to be
      >alive and well??

      Software that has no ongoing development MAY become outdated.
      See my example above.
      If webalizer had an option to either:
      - use templates to define the (X)HTML page layout
      - produced XML output
      then all Webalizer users could customize the output pages
      however they wanted, either by modifying the "default Webalizer
      page template(s)", or by using XSLT.

      --
      Dave Patton
      http://www.confluence.org/
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
        Dave, my apologies for the same post - just wanted to mention this to
        the rest of the group.

        > doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
        > output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).

        There's a version of Webalizer that uses CSS -
        www.stonesteps.ca/webalizer. They also load language files on start
        up (useful in hosting). No DNS, though.

        J.D.

        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@c...>