Re: [webalizer] roadmap/timetable for Webalizer upgrades?

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
      Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:
      > Hello All.
      >
      > My first posting to this list. We have been using
      > a 'default' webalizer config to keep stats for the
      > Degree Confluence Project website, for our own interest.
      > Soon, I plan to make a stripped-down version available
      > for public use, and am using the Geolizer patch.
      >
      > On this list, on Feb 25th:
      > the question was asked about updates to Webalizer,
      > and the same day Bradford replied that the program
      > is "alive and well":
      > but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.
      >
      > I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
      > Web Druid:
      > http://www.webdruid.org/
      > WebalizerXML:
      > http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
      > and Hugo Haas' patch:
      > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
      > but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
      > a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?

      a roadmap to where?? does webalizer not work properly for you?

      i'm confused... why does everyone think that there has to be a new release of something every so often for it to be
      alive and well?? if something is buggy, yes, i can see that but if it is not and everything WAD, i see no reason... so,
      what's the deal? debian woody is getting pretty long in the tooth as is MSDOS6.22... is anyone expecting to see newer
      releases of them?? don't they WAD??

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
        At 07:25 AM 2004/10/11, waldo kitty wrote:

        >Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:

        > > but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.
        > >
        > > I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
        > > Web Druid:
        > > http://www.webdruid.org/
        > > WebalizerXML:
        > > http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
        > > and Hugo Haas' patch:
        > > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
        > > but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
        > > a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?
        >
        >a roadmap to where??

        To the future of Webalizer.

        > does webalizer not work properly for you?

        Depends on your definition of "work properly" :-)
        For example, the pages produced by Webalizer, while
        valid HTML, are using a fairly ancient Doctype,
        HTML 4.0 Transitional, and the webalizer.conf
        doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
        output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).
        Some of the above products/variations have addressed
        this issue, which is why I'm wondering if there are
        any planned Webalizer upgrades that will do the same.

        >i'm confused... why does everyone think that there has to be a new release
        >of something every so often for it to be
        >alive and well??

        Software that has no ongoing development MAY become outdated.
        See my example above.
        If webalizer had an option to either:
        - use templates to define the (X)HTML page layout
        - produced XML output
        then all Webalizer users could customize the output pages
        however they wanted, either by modifying the "default Webalizer
        page template(s)", or by using XSLT.

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
          Dave, my apologies for the same post - just wanted to mention this to
          the rest of the group.

          > doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
          > output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).

          There's a version of Webalizer that uses CSS -
          www.stonesteps.ca/webalizer. They also load language files on start
          up (useful in hosting). No DNS, though.

          J.D.

          --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@c...>