Re: Get started with Country Chart?

  • hstextiles
    Message 1 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
      Hi all,

      I am referring to webalizer statistic system! How to get stareted
      with webalizer if iwanna configure the pie chart for the countries.

      Help me,
      hstextiles
    • Dave Patton [DCP]
      Message 2 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
        At 08:21 PM 2004/10/10, hstextiles wrote:

        >Hi all,
        >
        >I'm new to this system but How can i get started to create a
        >satistic on my Country Pie Chart? I would like to show the origin of
        >my visitors. How is it done? What can i do?

        Use the Geolizer patched version:
        http://sysd.org/proj/log.php#glzr
        along with the latest GeoIP Free Country database:
        http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country

        --
        Dave Patton
        http://www.confluence.org/
        Message 3 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
          Hi Dave,

          I was looking at the sample of the description and it was what i
          want but i dont know what is this for? I am using webalizer and i am
          only left with countries chart to be done. And thats only one. The
          patched that u have you given me is it something i could just add on
          and what can i do with it? pardon me for asking those silly
          questions but i'm kind of confused. PLease help. Thanks alot..

          Sincerely,
          Hstextiles

          > Use the Geolizer patched version:
          > http://sysd.org/proj/log.php#glzr
          > along with the latest GeoIP Free Country database:
          > http://www.maxmind.com/app/geoip_country
          >

          > --
          > Dave Patton
          > Canadian Coordinator, Degree Confluence Project
          > http://www.confluence.org/
          > My website: http://members.shaw.ca/davepatton/
        • hstextiles
          Message 4 of 14 , Oct 11, 2004
            I would like to add on:

            There are many types of patches:

            patch to Webalizer source:
            .bz2 [27.0 Kb]
            .gz [29.3 Kb]
            Linux static binary:
            .bz2 [727.2 Kb]
            .gz [698.4 Kb]
            Win32 static binary:
            .rar [486.0 Kb]
            .zip [546.5 Kb]

            Which is the one i should go for? Linux is out because i'm using
            windows. Please guide. Thanks.

            With Regards,
            Sweee
          • hstextiles
            Message 5 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
              Hi all,

              I have tried downloading the .gz webalizer source patch but it
              prompted that it is illegal thus i stop immediately. My aim here is
              to configure the the webalizer for my countries stats. Then i also
              found out this information but i do not know how i can go about
              doing it. Below is the instruction i found from my webalizer but i
              could not realy start a telnet. The telnet i started was from Start
              Menu/run and i type "telnet" but it doesn't work when i try
              typing "telnet hst.com". Why is it so?

              ____________________Instructions________________________________
              To change the configuration information:

              Connect to your site using the Telnet or SSH remote login service.

              Important: To use Telnet or SSH, your service provider must enable
              Telnet or SSH remote login services for your site. SSH is
              recommended as a secure remote login service.

              If you are using the SSH service, type the following at the command
              line prompt.

              ssh <username@sitename>

              For example, if you have the user name, myname, for the site,
              mysite.com, then type, ssh myname@...

              If you are using Telnet, type the following:

              telnet mysite.com

              Enter your user name and password, when prompted.

              Browse to the /etc/webalizer directory, and locate the Webalizer
              configuration file, webalizer.conf.

              To locate the configuration file for the Web server, type the
              following:

              cd /etc/webalizer/Web

              ls

              To locate the configuration file for the FTP server, type the
              following:

              cd /etc/webalizer/ftp

              ls

              You will find the webalizer.conf listed.

              Open the configuration file by using the vi text editor.

              vi webalizer.conf

              The configuration file opens. Each option is preceded by a detailed
              description of the option.

              Note: When you modify the configuration file, do not change the
              default output directory, outputdir (where the Webalizer reports
              will be located), otherwise the reports will not be visible from the
              Site Administrator control panel.

              Change the configuration options as needed.

              To save the changes and exit the configuration file, type the
              following command.

              :wq
            • waldo kitty
              Message 6 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                hstextiles wrote:

                > I would like to add on:
                >
                > There are many types of patches:
                >
                > patch to Webalizer source:
                > .bz2 [27.0 Kb]
                > .gz [29.3 Kb]
                > Linux static binary:
                > .bz2 [727.2 Kb]
                > .gz [698.4 Kb]
                > Win32 static binary:
                > .rar [486.0 Kb]
                > .zip [546.5 Kb]

                uhhh... those are not types of patches... they are archive formats... each one contains the same patch for that flavor...

                > Which is the one i should go for? Linux is out because i'm using
                > windows. Please guide. Thanks.

                it doesn't matter... one of those listed for windows... they are the same... you just need to be able to open one of
                those formats... (hint: winrar or winzip)

                /me shakes head in disbelief

                --
                _\/
                (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                Message 7 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                  At 02:07 AM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

                  >Hi all,
                  >
                  >I have tried downloading the .gz webalizer source patch but it
                  >prompted that it is illegal thus i stop immediately.

                  OK, I don't want to sound rude here, but, I don't think you
                  know enough about computers to be doing this task on your own.
                  Can you get someone local, who knows computers, to help you?

                  > My aim here is
                  >to configure the the webalizer for my countries stats. Then i also
                  >found out this information but i do not know how i can go about
                  >doing it. Below is the instruction i found from my webalizer but i
                  >could not realy start a telnet. The telnet i started was from Start
                  >Menu/run and i type "telnet" but it doesn't work when i try
                  >typing "telnet hst.com". Why is it so?

                  If you don't know how to edit your own webalizer.conf file,
                  there is no way you will know how to download, install, and
                  compile a sourcecode patch.

                  You said you are using Windows, so download the Geolizer
                  Win32 binary, in .zip format, unzip it(e.g. using WinZip,
                  PKZip, etc), and use it instead of whatever copy of Webalizer
                  you already have. Make sure to read all the documentation.
                  The "Geolizer patch", in static binary form, is a 'full install'
                  of Webalizer, with the Geolizer changes already applied,
                  and the webalizer.conf file is setup to generate a country chart.

                  --
                  Dave Patton
                  http://www.confluence.org/
                  Message 8 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                    Hi All,

                    Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
                    rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
                    know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
                    i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
                    is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
                    solved by the experts.

                    As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
                    misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
                    2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
                    will work.

                    Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
                    webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
                    codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
                    opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
                    to open the ".conf" extension?

                    Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
                    statistic? Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
                    rest be affected too?

                    Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
                    the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
                    how to do a SSH remote login? or is there a need to login remotely?

                    Ps. If my questions again, sounded illogical or silly, pardon me.
                    Thank you.

                    With Regards,
                    Swee
                  • Dave Patton [DCP]
                    Message 9 of 14 , Oct 12, 2004
                      At 09:18 PM 2004/10/12, hstextiles wrote:

                      >Hi All,
                      >
                      >Thank you for all your generous solutions. Haha.., i am somehow or
                      >rather a IT-literate. Maybe i dont sound like one. But i certainly
                      >know abit. Anyway, the webalizer wasn't started out by me and thus,
                      >i'm not sure of the operations and even the set up of it. And this
                      >is the reason why i have signed up for groups to have my questions
                      >solved by the experts.

                      Nothing beats learning things on your own.
                      Read the Webalizer documentation, and setup your
                      own copy, and get it working. Once you have
                      done that, you'll probably know enough to either
                      get your contry stats working, or else be able to
                      come back to this list with specific questions.

                      >As for why i have asked which patches to go for because, its kind of
                      >misleading to me. There it wrote patches and below it, only contains
                      >2 types which is the gz and b2. Naturally, i thought one of those
                      >will work.

                      Those are just file extensions, and typically mean
                      the file(s) are compressed. There are various file
                      extensions for compressed files(e.g. .zip, .rar, .arc,
                      .gz, .bz2, etc), just like there are various file
                      extensions for document files(e.g. .txt, .rtf, .doc, etc).

                      >Hi Dave, you were saying i might not know how to edit
                      >webalizer.conf. Yes, i agree with you..i do not know why all the
                      >codes and words were all compact together. Is it because i have
                      >opened it using "notepad". Is there any other program that i can use
                      >to open the ".conf" extension?

                      webalizer.conf is a plain text file, so any decent
                      text editor will work. If it's "messed up", then
                      the likely cause is that it may have Unix end-of-line
                      characters rather than Windows end-of-line character pairs.

                      >Will this "Geolizer Win32 binary" overrides all my previous
                      >statistic?

                      The "binary" is just a program. It doesn't do anything
                      until you run it, and then it does it's actions based
                      on how you have configured your webalizer.conf file.

                      > Since i only want to configure my country chart, will the
                      >rest be affected too?

                      Geolizer does more that just create the country chart,
                      and if you, for example, want country stats for all
                      of October, you have to re-process all your October
                      log entries.

                      >Lastly, the instructions help given was to login remotely to turn on
                      >the default configuration for the country chart. Does anyone know
                      >how to do a SSH remote login?

                      Lots of people do.

                      > or is there a need to login remotely?

                      No. Edit your webalizer.conf file locally. Transfer
                      it(e.g. FTP) to the webhost. Run Webalizer.

                      --
                      Dave Patton
                      http://www.confluence.org/
                      Message 10 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

                        To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
                        turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
                        hostnames instead of IP addresses?

                        With Regards,
                        Sweee
                      • waldo kitty
                        Message 11 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004
                          hstextiles wrote:

                          > To configure the country chart which is unresolved, isnt it just by
                          > turning on hostname lookups on the web server so that i have
                          > hostnames instead of IP addresses?

                          this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                          do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                          domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client connections?

                          what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs are (supposedly) located... it may or may not be
                          accurate but the folk at maxmind (where the geo database stuff is done) do a pretty good job of keeping their database
                          up to date... it can be a hard thing to do with all the IPs that are moved and reassigned every day...

                          previously you stated that you are running windows... are you saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                          webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                          --
                          _\/
                          Message 12 of 14 , Oct 13, 2004

                            > this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                            reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                            > do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                            IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                            > domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                            connections?
                            Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                            that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                            My Logfile shows this:
                            66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                            +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                            " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"

                            It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                            configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                            server?

                            > what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                            are (supposedly) located...

                            Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                            me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                            > previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                            saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                            > webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??

                            I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                            to my web server.

                            > _\/
                            > (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
                            > __ooO_( )_Ooo_____________________ telnet://bbs.wpusa.dynip.com
                            > _|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ http://www.wpusa.dynip.com
                            > ____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____|_____ ftp://ftp.wpusa.dynip.com
                            > _|_Eat_SPAM_to_email_me!_YUM!__|_____|_____ wkitty42 -at-
                            alltel.net
                          • waldo kitty
                            Message 13 of 14 , Oct 14, 2004
                              hstextiles wrote:

                              >> this is done one of two ways... either your web server does the
                              >> reverse lookup or you /may/ be able to get webalizer to
                              >> do it... if the webserver does it, you'll get a mix of domains and
                              >> IPs in the logs... many IPs do not rDNS to a
                              >>domain... do your logs have any domains listed for the client
                              >> connections?
                              > Then if i want my webalizer to do it, do i still need to install
                              > that geolizer? Would you mind to guide me through the process.

                              no... geolizer is only for telling you the locations of the unresolved IPs...

                              > My Logfile shows this:
                              > 66.249.66.138 - - [14/Oct/2004:06:19:49
                              > +0800] "GET /acatalog/small_2841.jpg HTTP/1.1" 200 2730 "-
                              > " "Googlebot-Image/1.0"
                              >
                              > It does not show any Domain name, but IP address. If i were to
                              > configure the DNS reverse lookups right, would it slow down my web
                              > server?

                              somewhat but no moreso than having webalizer or geolizer do it... the lookup is going to be the same no matter what
                              software does it...

                              FWIW: i run an Apache webserver on a PII 266 and let it handle the domain lookups... i can't see the dns hit and the
                              machine doesn't appear to even feel it...

                              >>what the geolizer stuff does is to tell where the unresolved IPs
                              >> are (supposedly) located...
                              >
                              > Thats what i hope to do, getting all the unresolved IP add to tell
                              > me the location and be shown it on the pie chart.

                              where as in country or were as in domain name?

                              >>previously you stated that you are running windows... are you
                              >> saying that you, personally, run windows or that the
                              >>webserver and/or webalizer are running on windows??
                              >

                              > I mean, my computer is usign WINDOWS XP. As for the webalizer is ftp
                              > to my web server.

                              and the web server is running what OS? this is really only pertenient to whether or not you install webaliser on the web
                              server or not... many pull the log files from the web server and run webalizer locally for their reports...

                              --
                              _\/
                              (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA