roadmap/timetable for Webalizer upgrades?

  • Dave Patton [DCP]
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 10, 2004
      Hello All.

      My first posting to this list. We have been using
      a 'default' webalizer config to keep stats for the
      Degree Confluence Project website, for our own interest.
      Soon, I plan to make a stripped-down version available
      for public use, and am using the Geolizer patch.

      On this list, on Feb 25th:
      the question was asked about updates to Webalizer,
      and the same day Bradford replied that the program
      is "alive and well":
      but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.

      I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
      Web Druid:
      http://www.webdruid.org/
      WebalizerXML:
      http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
      and Hugo Haas' patch:
      http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
      but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
      a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?

      Thanks

      --
      Dave Patton
      http://www.confluence.org/
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
        Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:
        > Hello All.
        >
        > My first posting to this list. We have been using
        > a 'default' webalizer config to keep stats for the
        > Degree Confluence Project website, for our own interest.
        > Soon, I plan to make a stripped-down version available
        > for public use, and am using the Geolizer patch.
        >
        > On this list, on Feb 25th:
        > the question was asked about updates to Webalizer,
        > and the same day Bradford replied that the program
        > is "alive and well":
        > but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.
        >
        > I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
        > Web Druid:
        > http://www.webdruid.org/
        > WebalizerXML:
        > http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
        > and Hugo Haas' patch:
        > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
        > but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
        > a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?

        a roadmap to where?? does webalizer not work properly for you?

        i'm confused... why does everyone think that there has to be a new release of something every so often for it to be
        alive and well?? if something is buggy, yes, i can see that but if it is not and everything WAD, i see no reason... so,
        what's the deal? debian woody is getting pretty long in the tooth as is MSDOS6.22... is anyone expecting to see newer
        releases of them?? don't they WAD??

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 11, 2004
          At 07:25 AM 2004/10/11, waldo kitty wrote:

          >Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:

          > > but the current version, 2.01-10, is a couple of years old.
          > >
          > > I'm aware that there are 'other products', such as
          > > Web Druid:
          > > http://www.webdruid.org/
          > > WebalizerXML:
          > > http://freshmeat.net/projects/webalizerxml/
          > > and Hugo Haas' patch:
          > > http://larve.net/people/hugo/2000/08/webalizer-patch
          > > but I'm wondering if anyone has any information about
          > > a roadmap and/or timetable for upgrades to Webalizer itself?
          >
          >a roadmap to where??

          To the future of Webalizer.

          > does webalizer not work properly for you?

          Depends on your definition of "work properly" :-)
          For example, the pages produced by Webalizer, while
          valid HTML, are using a fairly ancient Doctype,
          HTML 4.0 Transitional, and the webalizer.conf
          doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
          output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).
          Some of the above products/variations have addressed
          this issue, which is why I'm wondering if there are
          any planned Webalizer upgrades that will do the same.

          >i'm confused... why does everyone think that there has to be a new release
          >of something every so often for it to be
          >alive and well??

          Software that has no ongoing development MAY become outdated.
          See my example above.
          If webalizer had an option to either:
          - use templates to define the (X)HTML page layout
          - produced XML output
          then all Webalizer users could customize the output pages
          however they wanted, either by modifying the "default Webalizer
          page template(s)", or by using XSLT.

          --
          Dave Patton
          http://www.confluence.org/
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 24, 2004
            Dave, my apologies for the same post - just wanted to mention this to
            the rest of the group.

            > doesn't allow for 'configuration control' over
            > output(e.g. to use CSS for presentation).

            There's a version of Webalizer that uses CSS -
            www.stonesteps.ca/webalizer. They also load language files on start
            up (useful in hosting). No DNS, though.

            J.D.

            --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@c...>