Negative DNS cache implementation ?

  • cuicui_oizo
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 5 12:30 PM
      Hello,

      I'm running webalizer on a mutualized server, i have ssh/crontab
      access but i cannot modify the Apache configuration (which -of course-
      do not includes DNS lookup in log files).

      So i'm using the dns cache file and it works fine but a little slow
      during the lookup state. I think it's because webalizer is trying to
      resolve previous unresolved IP address, or in my case (my website has
      not thousands of visitors a day) this IP address have no reverse name.

      This problem can be solved using, like in bind, a negative DNS cache,
      which means that if an IP address cannot be resolved, an information
      is stored on the DNS cache to disable futur lookups on this address
      since the end of the TTL.

      It could have great benefits because it seems that current Webalizer
      version is trying to resolve previous unresolved addresses EVERY run!!!!

      Do you know if a DNS patch exists for Webalizer? I know that WebDruid
      -the Webalizer clone- has this feature but i cannot compile it right now.

      Regads,

      Nicolas