Switching servers, maintaining stats?

  • Don Levey
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
      Last month, my server crashed. I've rebuilt the thing on a new box,
      including a new OS install (Linux). Now I'd like to move the old usage
      files over and update with the new data. THat is, I've got everything up to
      July on the old box, August on the new box. I'd like to have the usage page
      show Jan-Jul *and* Aug. I've tried -p, but that doesn't seem to help. From
      the archives, I see NOT to use -i.

      In my usage directory I've got all the individual .png files, the index
      file, monthly usage html files, and two history files (webalizer.hist,
      webalizer.current). I may have access to the access logs on the old
      machine; I certainly have access to the new ones. Is there a way of
      combining these?

      FOLLOWUP: If this is possible, should I use the same method to incorporate
      the data from the interim server? The dates don't cleanly fall on month
      boundaries (was using the interim from mid-July to mid-August) so if it's
      not possible I can live without it.

      TIA,
      -Don
    • waldo kitty
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
        Don Levey wrote:

        > Last month, my server crashed. I've rebuilt the thing on a new box,
        > including a new OS install (Linux). Now I'd like to move the old usage
        > files over and update with the new data. THat is, I've got everything up to
        > July on the old box, August on the new box. I'd like to have the usage page
        > show Jan-Jul *and* Aug. I've tried -p, but that doesn't seem to help. From
        > the archives, I see NOT to use -i.
        >
        > In my usage directory I've got all the individual .png files, the index
        > file, monthly usage html files, and two history files (webalizer.hist,
        > webalizer.current). I may have access to the access logs on the old
        > machine; I certainly have access to the new ones. Is there a way of
        > combining these?

        the old html and graphics files won't do you any good... the best solution is to gather all the old logs and start webalizer as
        fresh (no .hist or .current) and then process all the old logs... once you get it up to date, then let it start processing the new
        logs as normal...

        > FOLLOWUP: If this is possible, should I use the same method to incorporate
        > the data from the interim server? The dates don't cleanly fall on month
        > boundaries (was using the interim from mid-July to mid-August) so if it's
        > not possible I can live without it.

        yes, i'd try a tool that would sort everything into proper date order...

        --
        _\/
        (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
          Depends. Sounds like you have already mucked about trying to run the
          stats on the new server, so you have likely munged your incremental data
          file. Try this:

          1) Copy usage directory from old server to new server, including history
          and incremental data file.

          2) Make sure your config file is correct; output directory is pointing to
          the correct place etc..

          3) Start processing your logs from the first log _after_ the crash (your
          'interim server'?) and feed them in proper chronological order up to
          your current log.

          The above assumes you have partial month log files to process, so enable
          incremental mode. If you normally rotate once a month as recommended,
          you will have to use incremental mode up to the end of August, then just
          rotate as normal and disable incremental mode.

          If you have monthly logs (no partials), then you should not have any
          incremental data files and can simply start processing where the old
          server left off and the new one started (ie: Augusts log file).

          --

          On Tue, 24 Aug 2004, Don Levey wrote:

          > Last month, my server crashed. I've rebuilt the thing on a new box,
          > including a new OS install (Linux). Now I'd like to move the old usage
          > files over and update with the new data. THat is, I've got everything up to
          > July on the old box, August on the new box. I'd like to have the usage page
          > show Jan-Jul *and* Aug. I've tried -p, but that doesn't seem to help. From
          > the archives, I see NOT to use -i.
          >
          > In my usage directory I've got all the individual .png files, the index
          > file, monthly usage html files, and two history files (webalizer.hist,
          > webalizer.current). I may have access to the access logs on the old
          > machine; I certainly have access to the new ones. Is there a way of
          > combining these?
          >
          > FOLLOWUP: If this is possible, should I use the same method to incorporate
          > the data from the interim server? The dates don't cleanly fall on month
          > boundaries (was using the interim from mid-July to mid-August) so if it's
          > not possible I can live without it.
          >
          > TIA,
          > -Don

        • Don Levey
          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 24, 2004
            Bradford L. Barrett wrote:
            > Depends. Sounds like you have already mucked about trying to run the
            > stats on the new server, so you have likely munged your incremental
            > data file. Try this:
            >
            > 1) Copy usage directory from old server to new server, including
            > history and incremental data file.
            >
            > 2) Make sure your config file is correct; output directory is
            > pointing to the correct place etc..
            >
            > 3) Start processing your logs from the first log _after_ the crash
            > (your 'interim server'?) and feed them in proper chronological order
            > up to your current log.
            >
            > The above assumes you have partial month log files to process, so
            > enable incremental mode. If you normally rotate once a month as
            > recommended, you will have to use incremental mode up to the end of
            > August, then just rotate as normal and disable incremental mode.
            >
            > If you have monthly logs (no partials), then you should not have any
            > incremental data files and can simply start processing where the old
            > server left off and the new one started (ie: Augusts log file).
            >

            > --

            Ah, it was that pesky config file. Once I edited it correctly (forgot to do
            so when reinstalling on the machine) I was able to get things to work.
            While I did lose a little data for July, and perhaps a few records for
            August, it's in a state I can live with. Thanks again!
            -Don