What does xxxx:+++++++ mean?

  • Shayne
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
      I have looked everywhere (including the archive here), but cannot
      find an answer.

      In your referrer log, what does xxxx:++++++++++++++++++ mean?

      Is it someone accessing my site from a protected site? Are they
      blocking the referrer? Is it someone probing my site that is up to
      no good? I know a lot of people get these in their logs. I was
      hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this.
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
        > In your referrer log, what does
        > xxxx:++++++++++++++++++ mean?

        This is some browser program which is blocking its
        referrer to protect the user's privacy. It could be
        even be some browser pluguin, or a proxy program like
        Proxymitron.

        I also get these in my logs. I have looked the
        entries, and they look just like users browsing pages
        in the websites. I have seen no suspicious behaviour.

        --- Shayne <skeetley@...> wrote:

        > I have looked everywhere (including the archive
        > here), but cannot
        > find an answer.
        >
        > In your referrer log, what does
        > xxxx:++++++++++++++++++ mean?
        >
        > Is it someone accessing my site from a protected
        > site? Are they
        > blocking the referrer? Is it someone probing my
        > site that is up to
        > no good? I know a lot of people get these in their
        > logs. I was
        > hoping someone here might be able to shed some light
        > on this.

        =====

        http://messenger.yahoo.com
      • waldo kitty
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 20, 2004
          Enric Naval wrote:
          >>In your referrer log, what does
          >>xxxx:++++++++++++++++++ mean?
          >

          > This is some browser program which is blocking its
          > referrer to protect the user's privacy. It could be
          > even be some browser pluguin, or a proxy program like
          > Proxymitron.

          FWIW: its not from Proxomitron (correct spelling) unless they have specifically modified the two places where referrals can be
          replaced... in my default proxomitron install, those two only make the referrer blank... the xxxx:++++ stuff comes from something
          else... i seem to recall norton internet security being mentioned elsewhere as one that did this... personally, i think it better to
          just blank the field rather than to stuff that shit in it...

          --
          _\/
          (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA