Re: [webalizer] Changes of visit calculation logic at V2.01

  • hideyuki nakano
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 15, 2004
      Thanks.

      I understand the following example.

      ----- Original Message -----
      From: "Enric Naval" <enventa2000@...>
      To: <webalizer@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, August 13, 2004 11:39 PM
      Subject: Re: [webalizer] Changes of visit calculation logic at V2.01

      > --- hideyuki nakano <hnakano@...> wrote:
      >
      > > Hi, all
      > >
      > > I run a web hosting service.
      > > Recently I upgraded webalizer from v1.30 to v2.01.
      > > I am asked why visits count decreased at v2.01 than
      > > v1.30?
      > > I read CHANGES of v2.01, then describe as follows
      > > comment.
      > >
      > > o Improved visit calculation logic to reduce
      > > 'false' counts generated
      > > by external image referrals.
      > >
      > > I guess that visits count decreased at v2.01 than
      > > v1.30 with reason,
      > > but how calculation logic changed is not understand.
      > > particularly I want a concrete instance "external
      > > image referrals".
      > >
      > > I am in trouble for answer for my customer.
      > >
      > > Help.
      > >

      > A made up example of "external image referrals":
      > Someone has visited www.some_site.com, which contains
      > a promotional banner ad which is hosted in our server.
      > This is the only hit in our server from this IP, so it
      > will NOT get counted as a visit.
      >
      > xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx.cz - - [11/Aug/2004:13:54:35
      > +0200] "GET /banners/ban1_promo_summer.jpg HTTP/1.1"
      > 200 9751 "http://www.some_site.com/" "Mozilla/4.0
      > (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q321120;
      > MyIE2)"
      >

      > This is another example of a hit that will not be
      > counted as a visit: someone has found one of the .doc
      > files in our site while searching for keywords in
      > google, and he decided not to visit any other file in
      > the server.
      >
      > xxxxxxxxxx.mrt.starband.net - - [12/Aug/2004:03:29:36
      > +0200] "GET /ipo/doc/03Metafo.doc HTTP/1.1" 200
      > 1535488

      "http://www.google.com.mx/search?q=WORD+STAR%2F+capacidades%2Cutilizacion+y+versiones&ie=UTF-8&hl=es
      &btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+en+Google&meta="

      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 16, 2004
        Oh, I forgot one detail.

        There is a PageType keyword in webalizer.conf. This
        defines what kind of files are counted as visits.

        In the default webalizer.conf you have only two page
        types defined: all the pages with extension starting
        with "htm", and files with extension ".cgi"

        PageType htm*
        PageType cgi

        In the example from before, the one about the ".doc"
        document visited from google, if you wanted all .doc
        documents to be counted as visits then you can add
        this to your webalizer.conf:

        PageType doc

        This way that hit from google would have been counted
        as a visit, even if only a single hit was registered
        in the server from that IP. (it is your decision
        whether you want or not to count that as a visit,
        there are several opinions about this. just do at your
        convenience)

        If you have a dinamic server with PHP files, then your
        webpages will have ".php" extension, and you need to
        add "PageType php" to your webalizer.conf, or you
        could find that you have no visits at all, because
        only ".htm", ".html" and ".cgi" pages are counted as
        visits.

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail