Changes of visit calculation logic at V2.01

  • hideyuki nakano
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 12, 2004
      Hi, all

      I run a web hosting service.
      Recently I upgraded webalizer from v1.30 to v2.01.
      I am asked why visits count decreased at v2.01 than v1.30?
      I read CHANGES of v2.01, then describe as follows comment.

      o Improved visit calculation logic to reduce 'false' counts generated
      by external image referrals.

      I guess that visits count decreased at v2.01 than v1.30 with reason,
      but how calculation logic changed is not understand.
      particularly I want a concrete instance "external image referrals".

      I am in trouble for answer for my customer.

      Help.
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 13, 2004
        --- hideyuki nakano <hnakano@...> wrote:

        > Hi, all
        >
        > I run a web hosting service.
        > Recently I upgraded webalizer from v1.30 to v2.01.
        > I am asked why visits count decreased at v2.01 than
        > v1.30?
        > I read CHANGES of v2.01, then describe as follows
        > comment.
        >
        > o Improved visit calculation logic to reduce
        > 'false' counts generated
        > by external image referrals.
        >
        > I guess that visits count decreased at v2.01 than
        > v1.30 with reason,
        > but how calculation logic changed is not understand.
        > particularly I want a concrete instance "external
        > image referrals".
        >
        > I am in trouble for answer for my customer.
        >
        > Help.

        A made up example of "external image referrals":
        Someone has visited www.some_site.com, which contains
        a promotional banner ad which is hosted in our server.
        This is the only hit in our server from this IP, so it
        will NOT get counted as a visit.

        xxx.xx.xxxxxxxxx.xxx.cz - - [11/Aug/2004:13:54:35
        +0200] "GET /banners/ban1_promo_summer.jpg HTTP/1.1"
        200 9751 "http://www.some_site.com/" "Mozilla/4.0
        (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; Q321120;
        MyIE2)"

        This is another example of a hit that will not be
        counted as a visit: someone has found one of the .doc
        files in our site while searching for keywords in
        google, and he decided not to visit any other file in
        the server.

        xxxxxxxxxx.mrt.starband.net - - [12/Aug/2004:03:29:36
        +0200] "GET /ipo/doc/03Metafo.doc HTTP/1.1" 200
        1535488
        "http://www.google.com.mx/search?q=WORD+STAR%2F+capacidades%2Cutilizacion+y+versiones&ie=UTF-8&hl=es&btnG=B%C3%BAsqueda+en+Google&meta="
        "Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows 98; Win 9x
        4.90)"

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • hideyuki nakano
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 15, 2004
          Thanks.

          I understand the following example.

          Message 4 of 4 , Aug 16, 2004
            Oh, I forgot one detail.

            There is a PageType keyword in webalizer.conf. This
            defines what kind of files are counted as visits.

            In the default webalizer.conf you have only two page
            types defined: all the pages with extension starting
            with "htm", and files with extension ".cgi"

            PageType htm*
            PageType cgi

            In the example from before, the one about the ".doc"
            document visited from google, if you wanted all .doc
            documents to be counted as visits then you can add
            this to your webalizer.conf:

            PageType doc

            This way that hit from google would have been counted
            as a visit, even if only a single hit was registered
            in the server from that IP. (it is your decision
            whether you want or not to count that as a visit,
            there are several opinions about this. just do at your
            convenience)

            If you have a dinamic server with PHP files, then your
            webpages will have ".php" extension, and you need to
            add "PageType php" to your webalizer.conf, or you
            could find that you have no visits at all, because
            only ".htm", ".html" and ".cgi" pages are counted as
            visits.

            =====

            http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail