Re: [webalizer] referrer spamming

  • waldo kitty
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 1, 2004
      Landon Noll wrote:
      > Are your referrer logs being spammed? Ours were.

      i've seen many referrer spams in my logs, yes...

      [discussion trimmed]

      > Discussions with the ISP (and indirectly with the referrer
      > spammers) seemed to suggest that the spammers wanted to
      > create links to their porn site. Perhaps the spammers
      > thought that this would improve traffic and/or search
      > engine placement? Whatever the reason, we decided to deny
      > them the joy of seeing their spamed referrers inside
      > A tags on our site in our webalizer logs.
      >
      > The 0.basic.patch patch changes referrer A record tags into
      > plain text (and removes the leading http://) to prevent the
      > referrer spamm A tag links back to their sites.

      seems to me that the easiest thing to do is to /NOT/ allow your log analysis to be viewed over the internet... there are several
      ways of accomplishing that... the main one being to use the web servers authentication capabilities... that'll keep the bots,
      spiders and rogues out unless they crack the access names and passwords ;)

      works for me and has for many years O;-)

      --
      _\/
      (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA