Processing multiple files at once

  • crawling_weasel
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
      Hello!

      As my provider does not provide good analysis I download the logfiles
      and analyize them on my local computer. Is there a way to analize
      multiple files or o whole directory at once or do I have to start
      webalizer for each log file?

      If not, is there a program for windows which combines logfiles
      automatically to one big logfile?

      Thanks and greetings from Bavaria

      Hans
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
        If the logs are all for the same machine, and named properly, just do:

        for i in /path/to/logs/*; do webalizer $i; done

        If they are for different domains, then you will have to get a bit more
        creative.

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
          --- "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

          > If the logs are all for the same machine, and named
          > properly, just do:
          >
          > for i in /path/to/logs/*; do webalizer $i; done
          >
          > If they are for different domains, then you will
          > have to get a bit more
          > creative.

          I assume that he is using windows, so he should use
          this .bat file to feed the logfiles in proper order.
          You can change the /O option in the "dir" command to
          get different orderings.

          *********COPY & PASTE BELOW HERE********

          @ echo on

          :: Only Windows NT. (because of the /F option)
          :: Only filenames with no spaces on them!

          ::This .bat file will create a file called
          :: "ordered_listing" in the upper directory "..\"
          :: and dump on it an ordered list of the
          :: filenames in the actual directory ".\" .
          :: Then it will parse the file line per line,
          :: executing webalizer for each line.

          ::Change ".\" and "..\" for fixed paths if you
          :: want to execute the file from anywhere.

          :: Information obtained from:
          :: http://www.pressroom.com/~tglbatch/

          :: /b means "simple output"
          :: /o means "ordered output"
          :: use "/OG" instead of "/O" to order by date
          :: (olders first)
          :: or use "/O-G" instead to order by date
          :: (younger first)
          ::
          :: Other examples:
          :: To use only files ending with .log:
          :: dir .\*.log /O /B etc....
          :: files starting with "sett" and ending with .log
          :: dir .\sett*.log /O /B etc...

          dir .\ /O /B > ../ordered_listing

          for /F %%v in (../ordered_listing) do webalizer %%v

          *******END OF .BAT FILE**************

          =====

          http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
        • crawling_weasel
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 31, 2004
            > I assume that he is using windows, so he should use
            > this .bat file to feed the logfiles in proper order.
            > You can change the /O option in the "dir" command to
            > get different orderings.

            Indeed I do ;-) Thanks a lot, works fine.

            Hans