Re: [webalizer] missing data

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
      Hint: Incremental mode

      Follow precautions in README file.

      --
      On Tue, 13 Jul 2004, oliver wrote:

      > Now, If I run the report again but only with data from July 4th to
      > July 11th. It looks like the history file is not being read because I
      > only see data from 4th --> 11th in webalizer.

    • oliver
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
        On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 17:10:06 -0400 (EDT), Bradford L. Barrett
        <brad@...> wrote:

        > Hint: Incremental mode
        >
        > Follow precautions in README file.

        yes... that was it. I cleared everything out, ran webalizer twice and
        all is good. Thanks so much
      • waldo kitty
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
          John [aka VJ Scorpio] wrote:
          > Thanks for your reply, and sorry I should have mentioned that most of
          > the downloads are protected by anti-leech [www.anti-leech.com] and the
          > only download manager/accelerator that can be used is netpumper
          > [www.netpumper.com].

          i'm not familiar with that software... either of them...

          > So if I may ask this question then, if a download manager is used, which
          > as you say might break up downloads would this actually increase the
          > "real" traffic, as the file is only being downloaded once?

          ummm... what's is being done is that they are able to download one file in 1/3rd the time, for example, if they are set for three
          connections with each being 1/3rd of the total filesize they are retrieving...

          > I have a
          > limit to my traffic allowance and would be charged extra for exceeding
          > it, hence my concern.

          i don't know if this will affect your traffic allowance... that would depend on the agreement you have with your hosting company...

          > I do also have a one connection per user setup via anti-leech, although
          > not sure if this prevents download managers from connecting several
          > times, something I need to check with anti-leech.

          yes, the logs snippet you showed did not indicate that any prevention was being performed... at least, not to my eyes...

          > But anyway, seems a bit "unfair" as from what I assume actual traffic or
          > bandwidth or whatever you want to call it is being shown wrong on the
          > logs, isnt it?

          there is a difference between traffic and bandwidth... bandwidth is how fat the pipe is... if you have a 1.5meg download pipe, then
          your max bandwidth is going to be close to 1.5meg... sometimes you'll see bandwidth confused with data quantity... something like
          "you're allowed 50gig per month in bandwidth"... that could be called traffic... the main thing is to clarify these definitions with
          your hosting company and determine exactly what /they/ are working with and the terms they are using...

          as for what's shown in the log? no, i don't see that that is wrong at all... the lines posted showed the conclusion of several
          connections all pulling different pieces of the same file by the same system at the same time... at least, from what i could see and
          guessing that the parts you "secured" were all the same...

          i think i'll take a peek at anti-leech myself... hopefully it'll run on my chosen OS and is not limited to only a few that i choose
          not to run as servers...

          --
          _\/
          (@@) Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 13, 2004
            Thanks again for your reply. I will need to look into this further with my hosting company although this is what their FAQ says, but its a bit double dutch to me, and YES they are talking about traffic being bandwidth, as they say its excess bandwidth they will charge extra for if my 700GB allowance per month is exceeded.
            "Bandwidth is measured at three points in our network for the highest accuracy and redundancy. We use the TrafficProbe system to analyze the complete traffic flow in our data center and provide you the most accurate billing in the industry. In addition, we monitor all switch ports for bandwidth usage."
            BTW, ant-leech is not server dependant afaik, its just a service they provide so no real direct links to files show up on a web page as they go through anti-leech first, but users have to install a browser plugin, and they are only available for MS OS afaik, although there are several versions for different browsers. You can control the amount of downloads per hour, day or whatever and other stuff like IP bans, speed limits etc. Its free but the user does gets some adware unless you pay to remove them, or the user pays for the full version of the netpumper download manager.

            Take Care

            John [aka VJ Scorpio]
            The Nets Largest Music Video Collection
            Tel/Fax USA: 8018495657
            Tel/Fax UK: 07092034200
            VIDEO ARCHIVE

            sorry I should have mentioned that most of
            > the downloads are protected
            by anti-leech [www.anti-leech.com] and the
            > only download
            manager/accelerator that can be used is netpumper

            [www.netpumper.com].

            i'm not familiar with that software... either of them...

            > So if I may ask this question then, if a download manager is
            used, which
            > as you say might break up downloads would this actually
            increase the
            > "real" traffic, as the file is only being downloaded once?

            ummm... what's is being done is that they are able to download one file in 1/3rd the time, for example, if they are set for three
            connections with each being 1/3rd of the total filesize they are retrieving...

            > I have
            > limit to my traffic allowance and would be charged extra for
            exceeding
            > it, hence my concern.

            i don't know if this will affect your traffic allowance... that would depend on the agreement you have with your hosting company...

            > I do also have a one connection per user setup
            via anti-leech, although
            > not sure if this prevents download managers
            from connecting several
            > times, something I need to check with
            anti-leech.

            yes, the logs snippet you showed did not indicate that any prevention was being performed... at least, not to my eyes...

            > But
            anyway, seems a bit "unfair" as from what I assume actual traffic or

            bandwidth or whatever you want to call it is being shown wrong on the

            logs, isnt it?

            there is a difference between traffic and bandwidth... bandwidth is how fat the pipe is... if you have a 1.5meg download pipe, then
            your max bandwidth is going to be close to 1.5meg... sometimes you'll see bandwidth confused with data quantity... something like
            "you're allowed 50gig per month in bandwidth"... that could be called traffic... the main thing is to clarify these definitions with
            your hosting company and determine exactly what /they/ are working with and the terms they are using...

            as for what's shown in the log? no, i don't see that that is wrong at all... the lines posted showed the conclusion of several
            connections all pulling different pieces of the same file by the same system at the same time... at least, from what i could see and
            guessing that the parts you "secured" were all the same...

            i think i'll take a peek at anti-leech myself... hopefully it'll run on my chosen OS and is not limited to only a few that i choose
            not to run as servers...

            --
                    _\/
                   (@@)                      Waldo Kitty, Waldo's Place USA