Re: [webalizer] Process logs from same URL on 3 different servers??

    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
      http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (See #16)

      --

      On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Stanley Stramel wrote:

      > We are currently using Webalizer (the NT version) for all our hosted
      > sites and it works very well.
      >
      > We have a current client who now has 3 servers containing the same web
      > site and traffic is managed by a CISCO 11501 Content Switch. Each
      > server creates a log file for the site. A visitor looking at this web
      > site might view the home page on server 1 and clicking on a link on the
      > home page, the Content Switch may display the next page from server 3.
      > Now server 1 has had activity and server 3 has had activity. A fourth
      > server will contain the Webalizer program and store the statistics.
      > This web site gets enough activity that we will rotate the logs and run
      > Webalizer daily.
      >
      > Assuming we use the Incremental process, the date and time is stored
      > from processing the first server log file so now it will not process all
      > the log entries from the other 2 server's log files if they are
      > processed separately. My question is how do we process these three log
      > files so the statistics are correct? We have thought about merging the
      > 3 log files into one large file but the date/time stamps will be out of
      > order on the entries which will cause Webalizer problems, correct? Is
      > there a utility that is known of that can sort the log file by date/time
      > after the 3 files have been merged? Is there a better way?
      >
      > Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!
      > Stan
      > CompuTech Business Solutions, Inc.
      > www.ctbsonline.com

    • Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
        Bradford L. Barrett wrote:

        >http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/faq.html (See #16)

        Even simpler, just use The WebDruid. :-)
        It has builtin support for multiple log files merging&reordering, as
        well as for IIS log files support.

        see http://www.webdruid.org,
        and http://www.ailis.de/~k/software/projects/webdruid/ for windows
        version (unsupported)

        Cheers,

        Fabien
      • Stanley Stramel
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
          Thanks, Bradford. We saw that on the UNIX/LINUX version however we are
          running the Windows version. We were hoping there was someone out there
          using a similar utility in the Windows environment.

          Stan
          CompuTech Business Solutions, Inc.

          On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Stanley Stramel wrote:

          > We are currently using Webalizer (the NT version) for all our hosted
          > sites and it works very well.
          >
          > We have a current client who now has 3 servers containing the same web
          > site and traffic is managed by a CISCO 11501 Content Switch. Each
          > server creates a log file for the site. A visitor looking at this web
          > site might view the home page on server 1 and clicking on a link on
          the
          > home page, the Content Switch may display the next page from server 3.
          > Now server 1 has had activity and server 3 has had activity. A fourth
          > server will contain the Webalizer program and store the statistics.
          > This web site gets enough activity that we will rotate the logs and
          run
          > Webalizer daily.
          >
          > Assuming we use the Incremental process, the date and time is stored
          > from processing the first server log file so now it will not process
          all
          > the log entries from the other 2 server's log files if they are
          > processed separately. My question is how do we process these three
          log
          > files so the statistics are correct? We have thought about merging
          the
          > 3 log files into one large file but the date/time stamps will be out
          of
          > order on the entries which will cause Webalizer problems, correct? Is
          > there a utility that is known of that can sort the log file by
          date/time
          > after the 3 files have been merged? Is there a better way?
          >
          > Thanks, in advance, for your assistance!
          > Stan
          > CompuTech Business Solutions, Inc.
          > www.ctbsonline.com

        • Stanley Stramel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
            Thanks, Fabien. We will look into this. How many users do you know of
            that are using your version? My concern is that your Windows version is
            unsupported.

            The Windows version of Webalizer works just fine. We just need to merge
            and sort the 3 files.

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 6, 2004
              Stanley Stramel wrote:

              >Thanks, Fabien. We will look into this. How many users do you know of
              >that are using your version? My concern is that your Windows version is
              >unsupported.

              How much i don't know... at least Klaus Reimer uses it on a few dozen of
              web sites, and looks
              very happy with it. ;-)

              Bye,

              Fabien