Visits Higher than Sites

  • stockardtyer
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 28, 2004
      Last Thursday, our website had a significant spike in traffic. It
      went back down after Thursday. We had mild jumps in pages, files,
      hits, and KBytes, but visits and sites were almost double the
      normal. The oddest thing was that, while there are usually a few
      more sites than visits, that day there were a few more visits than
      sites, which I though would be kind of impossible. This is not a
      life or death situation, but if anyone haws a clue what happened
      that day, I'd love to know. I'm wondering whether this might tip
      someone off to a particular event.

      Thanks for the help,
      Charles
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 29, 2004
        Hello:

        This may happen if people is accessing your site from
        inside a company's intranet which is masking the IPs
        of the computers on it (the router has NAT activated).
        Also, one person could visit your website twice from
        the same computer in intervals greater than the
        timeout (30 minutes by default), for example,once in
        the morning and once in the evening, and that would be
        counted as two visits but only one IP.

        Also, some persons could find that the spikes were
        causing the website to respond slowly, so they gave up
        and re-tried later, causing also two visits from only
        one IP.

        Some ISP (Internet Access Provider) may also hide
        their customer IPs, so several different persons would
        apperar to come from the same site, but this is rare
        as far as I know. Usually IPs are hidden only in
        enterprise's intranets and in people who have a small
        network at home using a cable or ADSL modem/router to
        NAT.

        Usually hits is higher than visits because of
        repeating visitors. Sometimes a web spider is spanning
        its visits along the day, and causes a similar effect.

        --- stockardtyer <stockardtyer@...> wrote:
        > Last Thursday, our website had a significant spike
        > in traffic. It
        > went back down after Thursday. We had mild jumps in
        > pages, files,
        > hits, and KBytes, but visits and sites were almost
        > double the
        > normal. The oddest thing was that, while there are
        > usually a few
        > more sites than visits, that day there were a few
        > more visits than
        > sites, which I though would be kind of impossible.
        > This is not a
        > life or death situation, but if anyone haws a clue
        > what happened
        > that day, I'd love to know. I'm wondering whether
        > this might tip
        > someone off to a particular event.
        >
        > Thanks for the help,
        > Charles

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail
      • Randall Perry
        Message 3 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
          Uhhh...isn't it vice-versa? Sites (distinct Ips) should not be higher than
          Visits (# of times distinct Ips visited). At most they should be equal,
          right?

          I'm asking because I have one site with higher Sites than Visits.

          --
          Randall Perry
          sysTame

          Xserve Web Hosting/Co-location
          Website Design/Development
          WebObjects Hosting
          Mac Consulting/Sales

          http://www.systame.com/
          Message 4 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
            It is very possible, and quite common to have more sites than visits.
            Visits are triggered on page type requests, sites are counted regardless
            of what the request is for. For example, if you host your own images
            on e-bay, you will have lots of sites making requests for those images
            which are added to the sites total, but never put a dent in the visits
            total. Make sense? Of course it does.. those sites are not visiting your
            web server, they are visiting e-bay.. all they know is that some images
            pop up while surfing around e-bay, and could care less from where or how
            those images show up.

            Message 5 of 5 , Aug 6, 2004
              Ah-ha. I get it.