Re: [webalizer] usage by country unresolved (use geolizer)

    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2004
      --- Claude Berube <cberube@...> wrote:

      > Our logs are not giving accurate figures concernning
      > the usage by country or a very low pwercentage is
      > resolved.
      >
      > What could cause this to happen?
      >
      > Would the problem generate from the config file or
      > from the site structure.

      This is because webalizer uses the top level domains
      ti guess the countries, so .com and .net are assigned
      to "network", and not resolved IPS to "unknown".

      You may wish to use geolizer:

      http://sysd.org/proj/log.php

      It is the project called "Webalizer + GeoIP library
      (aka "Geolizer")"

      It uses a IP-to-country library. This will resolve
      most IPs. It has it own problems with resolved domain
      names so you won't get 100% accuracy unless you
      deactive the IP resolving. If the IPs are already
      resolved in the log files (because your web server
      already makes IP resolving) then you'll see a 70-80%
      efficency in guessing countries, depending on what
      kind of IPS your visitors have. The resolved domains
      ".com" and ".net" are also guessed as "unknown" by
      geolizer. You need to tell geolizer not to resolve IPs
      to guess those. Best results obtained when you only
      have IPs in the webserver logs.

      NOTE: also, maybe webalizer is only managing to
      resolve very little addresses because most of your
      visitors are coming from non-resolving IPs. Because
      webalizer uses domain names to guess countries, a low
      percentage of resolved IPs causes a low percentage of
      country guessing.

      =====

      http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail