usage by country unresolved

  • Claude Berube
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 22, 2004
      usage by country unresolved

      Our logs are not giving accurate figures concernning the usage by country or a very low pwercentage is resolved.

      What could cause this to happen?

      Would the problem generate from the config file or from the site structure.

      Thank you,

      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 22, 2004
        --- Claude Berube <cberube@...> wrote:

        > Our logs are not giving accurate figures concernning
        > the usage by country or a very low pwercentage is
        > resolved.
        >
        > What could cause this to happen?
        >
        > Would the problem generate from the config file or
        > from the site structure.

        This is because webalizer uses the top level domains
        ti guess the countries, so .com and .net are assigned
        to "network", and not resolved IPS to "unknown".

        You may wish to use geolizer:

        http://sysd.org/proj/log.php

        It is the project called "Webalizer + GeoIP library
        (aka "Geolizer")"

        It uses a IP-to-country library. This will resolve
        most IPs. It has it own problems with resolved domain
        names so you won't get 100% accuracy unless you
        deactive the IP resolving. If the IPs are already
        resolved in the log files (because your web server
        already makes IP resolving) then you'll see a 70-80%
        efficency in guessing countries, depending on what
        kind of IPS your visitors have. The resolved domains
        ".com" and ".net" are also guessed as "unknown" by
        geolizer. You need to tell geolizer not to resolve IPs
        to guess those. Best results obtained when you only
        have IPs in the webserver logs.

        NOTE: also, maybe webalizer is only managing to
        resolve very little addresses because most of your
        visitors are coming from non-resolving IPs. Because
        webalizer uses domain names to guess countries, a low
        percentage of resolved IPs causes a low percentage of
        country guessing.

        =====

        http://promotions.yahoo.com/new_mail