Re: [webalizer] "Visits" versus "Hits" Stats?

    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004

      See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/webalizer_help.html

      > I don't understand the visits count. How can I
      > have 16,126 hits so far for June and only 6 visits?

      Either you have very busy visitors, a very busy web site with tons of
      linked graphics (or other non-html elements) or you have a config option
      screwed up somewhere.

      > I have been to
      > Webalizer's FAQ and Quick Help but the ReadMe file comes up as an
      > error so I can't read it.

      You must be using MSIE, which is very broken (hence the note at the bottom
      of the download page). Use a RFC compliant browser, such as mozilla or
      opera.. or better yet, since the document is actually on an FTP server,
      just use a real ftp client.

      > Basically, I would just like to know
      > approximately how many people go to my site each day.

      You can't determine individual users. Best you can do is look at the
      number of unqiues IP addresses/hostnames (sites) that make requests.

    • Kristi Gilleland
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
        Hits are the number of files that are accessed/downloaded.

        A common misperception is that hits=visits and that is NOT the case. If you
        have a site with a lot of graphics or a site that encourages people to visit
        multiple pages and items then your hits can be very high and your unique
        visitors very low.

        Also when your site is spidered by webbots, you can have a large number of
        files accessed in a very brief time (if the the bots' hits are not
        filtered.)

        Thanks!

        Kristi Gilleland
        Webmaster
        Information Technology Dept.
        Floyd College

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
          Don't forget about Data Miners... My site last month had 1175825 hits
          from one IP with only 5 visits

          Adam

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
            There is a keyword called PageType. If you say
            "PageType html" then you are telling webalizer that
            all URLs ending in ".html" are to be considered as
            pages, and not as simple files. Only the extensions
            that are listed in PageType are counted as "visits",
            because visitors hit on pages. A visitor that only
            hits in normal files (jpg files, for example) will not
            be considered a visitor.

            For example, if you have this config in the
            webalizer.conf file:

            PageType htm*
            PageType cgi

            If you receive these hits in the server:

            *.html 5 hits
            *.htm 1 hits
            *.cgi 4 hits
            *.jpg 200 hits
            *.pdf 2500 hits

            Then you will have:

            Hits= 27010 5 + 1 + 4 + 200 + 2500
            Visits= 10 5 + 1 + 4

            The visitors that hit only ".pdf" files will not be
            counted as visitors and they will not be added to the
            total of visits, because you didn't tell webalizer to
            considere ".pdf" as a page.

            This happened a lot to us, because lots of people
            would find one of the pdfs in our site using google,
            and they would only retrieve the pdf and not visit any
            more file in the website. We added "PageType pdf" to
            get that people counted as visitors.

            Perhaps you have a site with PHP, and you don't have
            "PageType php*" in your webalizer.conf. Check if you
            have many hits in a certain type of files, and if you
            want that kind of file to be considered a page.

            NOTE: Perhaps people is linking to images on your
            site, and they are only retrieving the image. Perhaps
            someone is using one of the images in your server to
            decorate a page in other server, so that you are
            paying for the bandwidth of the images decorating the
            webpage belonging to someone else.... I have seen
            people doing this. (An example of a legitime use of
            this is when people is linking to banners in your
            server, instead of copying your banner into their own
            server)

            =====

            http://messenger.yahoo.com/