"Visits" versus "Hits" Stats?

  • nwnook
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
      I am looking for more info on what all the numbers mean on my
      webalizer stats. I don't understand the visits count. How can I
      have 16,126 hits so far for June and only 6 visits? I have been to
      Webalizer's FAQ and Quick Help but the ReadMe file comes up as an
      error so I can't read it. Basically, I would just like to know
      approximately how many people go to my site each day.
      Please Help,
      Deb
      www.northwoodsnook.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004

        See: http://www.mrunix.net/webalizer/webalizer_help.html

        > I don't understand the visits count. How can I
        > have 16,126 hits so far for June and only 6 visits?

        Either you have very busy visitors, a very busy web site with tons of
        linked graphics (or other non-html elements) or you have a config option
        screwed up somewhere.

        > I have been to
        > Webalizer's FAQ and Quick Help but the ReadMe file comes up as an
        > error so I can't read it.

        You must be using MSIE, which is very broken (hence the note at the bottom
        of the download page). Use a RFC compliant browser, such as mozilla or
        opera.. or better yet, since the document is actually on an FTP server,
        just use a real ftp client.

        > Basically, I would just like to know
        > approximately how many people go to my site each day.

        You can't determine individual users. Best you can do is look at the
        number of unqiues IP addresses/hostnames (sites) that make requests.

      • Kristi Gilleland
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
          Hits are the number of files that are accessed/downloaded.

          A common misperception is that hits=visits and that is NOT the case. If you
          have a site with a lot of graphics or a site that encourages people to visit
          multiple pages and items then your hits can be very high and your unique
          visitors very low.

          Also when your site is spidered by webbots, you can have a large number of
          files accessed in a very brief time (if the the bots' hits are not
          filtered.)

          Thanks!

          Kristi Gilleland
          Webmaster
          Information Technology Dept.
          Floyd College

          I am looking for more info on what all the numbers mean on my webalizer
          stats. I don't understand the visits count. How can I have 16,126 hits so
          far for June and only 6 visits? I have been to Webalizer's FAQ and Quick
          Help but the ReadMe file comes up as an error so I can't read it. Basically,
          I would just like to know approximately how many people go to my site each
          day.
          Please Help,
          Deb
          www.northwoodsnook.com

          http://us.click.yahoo.com/L5YrjA/eSIIAA/yQLSAA/NhFolB/TM

          Webalizer homepage: http://www.webalizer.org Webalizer for NT:
          http://www.medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

          ttp://www.webalizer.org

          Yahoo! Groups Links
        • Southerland, Adam
          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 9, 2004
            Don't forget about Data Miners... My site last month had 1175825 hits
            from one IP with only 5 visits

            Adam

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 10, 2004
              There is a keyword called PageType. If you say
              "PageType html" then you are telling webalizer that
              all URLs ending in ".html" are to be considered as
              pages, and not as simple files. Only the extensions
              that are listed in PageType are counted as "visits",
              because visitors hit on pages. A visitor that only
              hits in normal files (jpg files, for example) will not
              be considered a visitor.

              For example, if you have this config in the
              webalizer.conf file:

              PageType htm*
              PageType cgi

              If you receive these hits in the server:

              *.html 5 hits
              *.htm 1 hits
              *.cgi 4 hits
              *.jpg 200 hits
              *.pdf 2500 hits

              Then you will have:

              Hits= 27010 5 + 1 + 4 + 200 + 2500
              Visits= 10 5 + 1 + 4

              The visitors that hit only ".pdf" files will not be
              counted as visitors and they will not be added to the
              total of visits, because you didn't tell webalizer to
              considere ".pdf" as a page.

              This happened a lot to us, because lots of people
              would find one of the pdfs in our site using google,
              and they would only retrieve the pdf and not visit any
              more file in the website. We added "PageType pdf" to
              get that people counted as visitors.

              Perhaps you have a site with PHP, and you don't have
              "PageType php*" in your webalizer.conf. Check if you
              have many hits in a certain type of files, and if you
              want that kind of file to be considered a page.

              NOTE: Perhaps people is linking to images on your
              site, and they are only retrieving the image. Perhaps
              someone is using one of the images in your server to
              decorate a page in other server, so that you are
              paying for the bandwidth of the images decorating the
              webpage belonging to someone else.... I have seen
              people doing this. (An example of a legitime use of
              this is when people is linking to banners in your
              server, instead of copying your banner into their own
              server)

              =====

              http://messenger.yahoo.com/