Re: [webalizer] Shipping logs from IIS to Unix

  • Fabien Chevalier
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
      sam harris wrote:

      > I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to
      > my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of
      > configuring Samba ?
      >
      > any ideas ?
      >
      > Sam.

      Hi,
      You don't even need to configure Samba.
      Use smbclient to retrieve the log from the windows share within a shell
      script.
      Or alternatively configure an ftp server so that you can use the command
      line ftp
      client to achieve the same goal.

      Good luck,

      Fabien
    • sam harris
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004

        thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear text transmission ( I think)...

        So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

        > I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to
        > my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of
        > configuring Samba ?
        >
        > any ideas ?
        >
        > Sam.

        Hi,
        You don't even need to configure Samba.
        Use smbclient to retrieve the log from the windows share within a shell
        script.
        Or alternatively configure an ftp server so that you can use the command
        line ftp
        client to achieve the same goal.

        Good luck,

        Fabien

        Webalizer for NT: http://www. medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

        ttp://www.webalizer.org

        Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
        http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
          While this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the webalizer, if you are
          unable to set up samba (which btw, of the thousands of samba boxes I have
          configured over the years, have yet to experience any 'agony' over doing
          so.. actually, quite the opposite), just use scp or similar.

          --

          On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, sam harris wrote:

          > thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which
          > means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear
          > text transmission ( I think)...
          >
          > So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

        • sam harris
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004

            some of us are just plain mediocre at confguring "Samba"..LOL.

            actually your idea of "scp" is an excellent idea. I will then open a hole for port 22, then script a vb script for dynamic naming of the log to be copyed over to the RH server, I think this is what you meant.

            Thanks.

            PS: thousands os samba configured...(hats off to you )..:)

            While this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the webalizer, if you are
            unable to set up samba (which btw, of the thousands of samba boxes I have
            configured over the years, have yet to experience any 'agony' over doing
            so.. actually, quite the opposite), just use scp or similar.

            --

            On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, sam harris wrote:

            > thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which
            > means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear
            > text transmission ( I think)...
            >
            > So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

            ttp://www.webalizer.org

            Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
            click here

            Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
            http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

          • simon benedict
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
              hi,

              Hi I am having a similar setup . I am having an automated ftp script running on my windows iis server which ftp's to my red hat box running webalizer and i run a schedular to ftp my iis logs and also a couple of minutes latter run a cron job on my red hat box and working perfect.

              try automating ftp

              good luck

              regards

              simon

              sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:

              I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of configuring Samba ?

              any ideas ?

              Sam.

              Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup