Shipping logs from IIS to Unix

  • sam harris
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004

      I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of configuring Samba ?

      any ideas ?

      Sam.

      Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
      http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

    • Fabien Chevalier
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
        sam harris wrote:

        > I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to
        > my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of
        > configuring Samba ?
        >
        > any ideas ?
        >
        > Sam.

        Hi,
        You don't even need to configure Samba.
        Use smbclient to retrieve the log from the windows share within a shell
        script.
        Or alternatively configure an ftp server so that you can use the command
        line ftp
        client to achieve the same goal.

        Good luck,

        Fabien
      • sam harris
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004

          thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear text transmission ( I think)...

          So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

          Webalizer for NT: http://www. medasys-lille.com/webalizer/

          ttp://www.webalizer.org

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004
            While this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the webalizer, if you are
            unable to set up samba (which btw, of the thousands of samba boxes I have
            configured over the years, have yet to experience any 'agony' over doing
            so.. actually, quite the opposite), just use scp or similar.

            --

            On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, sam harris wrote:

            > thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which
            > means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear
            > text transmission ( I think)...
            >
            > So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

          • sam harris
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2004

              some of us are just plain mediocre at confguring "Samba"..LOL.

              actually your idea of "scp" is an excellent idea. I will then open a hole for port 22, then script a vb script for dynamic naming of the log to be copyed over to the RH server, I think this is what you meant.

              Thanks.

              PS: thousands os samba configured...(hats off to you )..:)

              While this has absolutely _nothing_ to do with the webalizer, if you are
              unable to set up samba (which btw, of the thousands of samba boxes I have
              configured over the years, have yet to experience any 'agony' over doing
              so.. actually, quite the opposite), just use scp or similar.

              --

              On Sun, 6 Jun 2004, sam harris wrote:

              > thanks, I forgot to mention firewall zones, I have to cross zones, which
              > means a nightmare with MS shares and Netbios, or ftp which mean clear
              > text transmission ( I think)...
              >
              > So, I may start thinking emailing from IIS...(I think!)

              ttp://www.webalizer.org

              Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
              click here

              Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
              http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup

            • simon benedict
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 9, 2004
                hi,

                Hi I am having a similar setup . I am having an automated ftp script running on my windows iis server which ftp's to my red hat box running webalizer and i run a schedular to ftp my iis logs and also a couple of minutes latter run a cron job on my red hat box and working perfect.

                try automating ftp

                good luck

                regards

                simon

                sam harris <samharris@...> wrote:

                I am wondering how I can ship (move) IIS logs from multiple servers to my Red Hat server (running webalizer), without going thru the agony of configuring Samba ?

                any ideas ?

                Sam.

                Sign-up for Ads Free at Mail.com
                http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup