Webalizer counts hits from my LAN - how to stop this....?

  • Guy Merritt
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
      Is there a way to make Webalizer stop counting hits from a LAN Windows box - uncommenting the"Hide Site localhost", as far as I know, wouldn't be the answer (since that refers to the Linux box on which Webalizer is running).  I've got a handy deal called AXS administrator that has an "ignore list" where you can enter NAT numbers of boxes, domain names, etc.  Webalizer is cooler, actually, and I use it for 4 sites but the stats don't mean much because if I edit a page and then hit the page a dozen times from Windows I've got wildly skewed results.........

      Thanks guys..............

      Guy Merritt
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 1, 2004
        --- Guy Merritt <guy@...> wrote:
        > Is there a way to make Webalizer stop counting hits
        > from a LAN Windows box - uncommenting the"Hide Site
        > localhost", as far as I know, wouldn't be the answer
        > (since that refers to the Linux box on which
        > Webalizer is running). I've got a handy deal called
        > AXS administrator that has an "ignore list" where
        > you can enter NAT numbers of boxes, domain names,
        > etc. Webalizer is cooler, actually, and I use it
        > for 4 sites but the stats don't mean much because if
        > I edit a page and then hit the page a dozen times
        > from Windows I've got wildly skewed results.........
        >
        > Thanks guys..............
        >
        > Guy Merritt

        Hello:

        I used this to group the visits from our lan. You will
        have to use IgnoreSite instead of GroupSite/HideSite.
        Ask the network administrator about what IPs subnets
        are being used in your lan and change the values here.
        Add machine names appropiately. Beware that common
        names like "jupiter", "juno", "cache" or "gateway" may
        appear in legitimate visits, so be careful when adding
        entries.

        #We ignore visits from the local machine
        IgnoreSite griho.udl.es
        IgnoreSite localhost

        # We group the 10.18., 10.200, and 10.30. subnets
        GroupSite 10.18* Internal Network
        HideSite 10.18*
        GroupSite 10.200* Internal Network
        HideSite 10.200*
        GroupSite 10.30* Internal Network
        HideSite 10.30*

        # We group all the other posible private networks
        GroupSite 172.16* Internal Network
        HideSite 172.16*
        GroupSite 192.168* Internal Network
        HideSite 192.168*

        # This is the domain used to name
        # the lan machines
        GroupSite *.udl.net Internal Network
        HideSite *.udl.net

        NOTE: I think you can ignore all the 10.x.x.x subnet
        using "IgnoreSite 10.*" but I never actually tried to
        do it. This was matching some legitimes entries. There
        were several visitors with "10.x.x.x.domain.com"
        names. Probably some lan name forwarded by some
        proxy.

        NOTE: Currently I'm using grep to rip the lan entries
        from the log files before procesing with webalizer. I
        believe this is faster that using webalizer keywords.
        You cn only do this in a script or in the command
        line. Notice that here I am filtering all IPS starting
        with "10." and followed by a number. The character "^"
        means start of line. I'm enclosing the dots with
        brackets "[.]" so grep will not interpret them as a
        special character.

        grep access_log -v -e ^localhost -e ^127 -e ^192[.]168
        -e ^10[.][0-9] -e ^172[.]16[.] -e ^griho[.]udl[.]es -e
        udl[.]net > access_log_greped

        Goodbye.

        =====
        GRIHO enhanced webalizer.conf

        http://messenger.yahoo.com/
      • Guy Merritt
        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
          Just wanted to say thanks - I simply edited the config file with "IgnoreSite
          192.168*" and it quit counting those hits - thanks again.......

          Message 4 of 5 , Jun 2, 2004
            > Just wanted to say thanks - I simply edited the config file with "IgnoreSite
            > 192.168*" and it quit counting those hits - thanks again.......

            And unfortunately, has caused you to start producing inaccurate stats :(

            Message 5 of 5 , Jun 3, 2004
              --- "Bradford L. Barrett" <brad@...> wrote:

              > > Just wanted to say thanks - I simply edited the
              > config file with "IgnoreSite
              > > 192.168*" and it quit counting those hits - thanks
              > again.......
              >
              > And unfortunately, has caused you to start producing
              > inaccurate stats :(

              About accurate stats...

              I usually set webalizer to ignore several things:
              visits from the lan, spidering from search engines,
              atempts to exploit vulnerabilities and web pages
              intenden to be visited just by administratos.

              To measure the real load on the server I have a
              separate stat where I am not ignoring anything.

              Not ignoring: 604 visits/day
              Ignoring : 457 visits/day

              This means that a 25% of the visits come from
              non-human visitors, from people inside the lan or from
              a spammer/hacker scanner. That's a 30% of the total
              hits to the server.

              While webalizer is a server load analyzer, it is very
              nice that it can be configured to serve different
              purposes; purposes like web site analysis and others.

              I set the "nice/filtered" stats for people who only
              needs/wants to see the real human visitors, and then I
              set also the "true" stats for administration purposes.
              This is useful for the people here.

              =====