webalizer question

  • t_stangel@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , May 18, 2004
      hey there,
      i have a very unusual problem with webalizer. well im not sure its webalizer at all but that is where the problem seems to be comming from. every week or so, one of my hostees stats directory gets renamed from "stats/" to "etc/". then the cron daemon goes nuts and emails me about it. it only gets more confusing when the stats directory is still there but its empty.

      each one of my hostees have separate logs so i have a simple perl script which processes them all every hour in the cron.hourly directory. the system is redhat 8 and it has only happened to one hostee. thanks for the help in advance!

      -todd

      Do you Yahoo!?
    • enventa2000
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18, 2004
        --- In webalizer@yahoogroups.com, "t_stangel@y..." <t_stangel@y...>
        wrote:
        > hey there,
        > i have a very unusual problem with webalizer. well im not sure its
        webalizer at all but that is where the problem seems to be comming
        from. every week or so, one of my hostees stats directory gets renamed
        from "stats/" to "etc/". then the cron daemon goes nuts and emails me
        about it. it only gets more confusing when the stats directory is
        still there but its empty.

        > each one of my hostees have separate logs so i have a simple perl
        script which processes them all every hour in the cron.hourly
        directory. the system is redhat 8 and it has only happened to one
        hostee. thanks for the help in advance!

        You perhaps have some script in cron.weekly which is moving that
        directory? Could you copy/paste the cron email text and a "ls -ld" and
        a "ls -l" of both directories right after the problem appears, just to
        check ownerships and timestamps? Also the crontab line for cron.
        weekly, and a "ls" of /etc/cron.weekly to check if the directories
        were created around the time a particular script is running.

        In any case, you may use a very ugly "patch" to solve the problem by
        adding these lines in the webalizer script before running webalizer.
        (ejem, I just remembered that you use perl, not bash, just translate
        adequately to perl)

        PROBLEMATIC_DIR="/hostee/stats/directory/"
        mkdir $PROBLEMATIC_DIR/stats/
        cp -rf $PROBLEMATIC_DIR/etc/* $PROBLEMATIC_DIR/stats/

        This will copy all files in "etc/" to "stats/". Notice that files in
        "stats/" holding the same name as some other file in "etc/" will get
        overwritten.

        NOTE: Notice that "dir/etc" is the same as "dir//etc". I just add "/"
        to end of all paths just to be sure that I don't forget later to add
        it, so I get many times paths like "/home//user//stats/dir". It will
        (in my system) work with no problems.
      • t_stangel@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2004

          ah okay. i thought about doing that in perl with a if statement but i am just so baffled at why it might be doing this. i will post all of that once it happens again. thanks!

          -todd

          Do you Yahoo!?