Rotate and Run daily

  • Brian Quinn
    Message 1 of 3 , May 10, 2004
      ok, i know this has been discussed, and I've searched the archives, but
      can't come up with anything good. so here's my question, and maybe a good
      answer can be added to the FAQ or something.

      I am running Apache 1.3.x, and i have 1 log file (for 1 domain), and it
      just grows and grows until i manually rotate it (usually the 1st week of
      the month). Then i user egrep and break it out by month, so i'm left with
      a file like april.2004.log. then i manually edit the webalizer.conf file
      to point to that log, and then run it for the months stats.

      This is a long, boring process, and now we want to get them updated daily,
      i have full control over the server and cron, so that's not an issue, it's
      just the layout i need help with.

      Should i run a cron script 1 second after midnight to get the previous day
      in 1 file, name it daily.log, then fireoff the webalizer, then when it's
      done, have it rename the log to like 050904.log (whatever day the log is
      for) or something. Or is there a MUCH easier way to do this?

      Thanks

      brian
      Message 2 of 3 , May 10, 2004
        Any particular reason why you want to rotate the logs daily instead of
        monthly? Doesn't seem like space is an issue.. You can still generate
        daily stat reports without having to rotate your logs you know :)

        --

        On Mon, 10 May 2004, Brian Quinn wrote:

        > ok, i know this has been discussed, and I've searched the archives, but
        > can't come up with anything good. so here's my question, and maybe a good
        > answer can be added to the FAQ or something.
        >

        > I am running Apache 1.3.x, and i have 1 log file (for 1 domain), and it
        > just grows and grows until i manually rotate it (usually the 1st week of
        > the month). Then i user egrep and break it out by month, so i'm left with
        > a file like april.2004.log. then i manually edit the webalizer.conf file
        > to point to that log, and then run it for the months stats.
        >
        > This is a long, boring process, and now we want to get them updated daily,
        > i have full control over the server and cron, so that's not an issue, it's
        > just the layout i need help with.
        >

        > Should i run a cron script 1 second after midnight to get the previous day
        > in 1 file, name it daily.log, then fireoff the webalizer, then when it's
        > done, have it rename the log to like 050904.log (whatever day the log is
        > for) or something. Or is there a MUCH easier way to do this?
        >
        > Thanks
        >
        > brian

        > ttp://www.webalizer.org
        >

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Brian Quinn
        Message 3 of 3 , May 10, 2004
          i wasn't sure i could run them daily and rotate them monthly, i guess i
          should have figured that out if i would have thought about
          it. Thanks. Anything special i need to do? does it have a problem
          running while the logs are still being written too?

          Thanks

          Brian